What's new

Half a week with DE shaving--my initial impression

My decision to use a DE razor was to use it on the 6½ month cruise I'm about to take for the Navy. The only storage space for your personal belongings you need each day is the space under your rack (or bed to you landlubbers). So I wanted something cheap and took up as little space as possible. Also someone swiped my stash of Bic Hybrids the last time and I'm hoping a DE razor will be theft proof.

My initial shave was not good. I applied too much pressure and I forgot about a mole on my neck that gets sliced easily (though never with my Bulldog razor). I nicked the cleft in my chin. But the real problem came with the splash of Aqua Velva. It was like dousing my face in kerosene and lighting a match to it.

I'm using a Baili Eco Classic, which got mostly positive reviews on Amazon. I like the heft of the razor. It feels substantial.

With advice from you fine gentlemen, I corrected my rookie mistakes. No more cuts or nicks. But AV still stings, though not as bad, but enough for me to switch to a non alcoholic after shave balm.

When I shave with two passes. One blade lasted half a week. So the 100 count I purchased will be more than enough to get me there and back.

After two passes I look clean-shaven, but I can feel the stubble. And by 7, the five o'clock shadow is more pronounced than it is when I use my Bulldog--which gets me smooth with one pass but it is a five bladed razor so that's the reason. With the bulldog, Aqua Velva doesn't string, it just gives a nice warm pleasant tingle.

But my DE gets the job done and us literally good enough for government work.

Since a lot of guys ask what I use to give me better advice here are the specs:

The razor: Baili Eco Classic
The blade: Shark Super Stainless Steel
The lather: Barbasol and also been using my dad's William's Mug Soap
The brush: dunno. It's black with a stylized B on the bottom [like the Boston Red Doc's Logo]

Good work. I don’t know that you need any more advice, as it sounds like you are quite autodidactic. The good folks here will sure be glad to help you along the way though, if needed. Glad to have you here, and hope you can stop by and say “hey” while away, now and then.

Good work. I don’t know that you need any more advice, as it sounds like you are quite autodidactic. The good folks here will sure be glad to help you along the way though, if needed. Glad to have you here, and hope you can stop by and say “hey” while away, now and then.
The fine gentlemen have given me a lot of good advice, including the razor i ought to have purchased. The thing is I ordered the razor before coming here. I didn't disregard their advice, but it came to late.

As for dropping by while asea, that prob won't happen. Free time and free computers both are in short supply. But come May, I'll definitely come back, talking about shaving is a manly pursuit and I think it is there manliness of DE Shaving that is it's biggest attraction.

Thanks for the advice but I've got it and I'm going to make it work. Maybe in my next deployment I'll upgrade. Merkur seems to be the one that gets the most recommendations.

My advice would be to get a Gillette Tech. They’ve been in continuous production for 80 years now. You can either get a new one, currently sold as the Gillette Sterling, or a vintage one excellent head shape and just the right level of aggressiveness. Given the more one is sold for £3.50 it won’t be a costly mistake. Good beginner blade is probably an Astra. I get them for around 5p each in boxes of 50.

Biggest advice is don’t put any pressure on the head and keep the curved base in contact with your skin to maintain the optimum angle. The mantra is to make several passes reducing the stubble with each pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great advice above! To me the two keys are:
#1. Assure you maintain an optimal razor angle, and
#2. NO pressure!
Stick with this and you will get the results you want!

Not a Sterling. Theyre very badly made razors. I have 2. Never could get them to work without cuts. Dorco Pl-602/Wilkinson Classic are both better & equally cheap.

I have heard they have uneven blade gap.

Alot of Gillette's Indian stuff is manufactured in India, contracted to smaller shops, and not everything is the same quality.

It took me awhile in the Army to get the necessary speed, but I finally got to where I could do a three pass in a little over 5 minutes, keep a styptic pen handy, you'll need it until you get your rythm down.

Keep a shallow angle (handle father away from your face, closer to parallel with the horizon) and use less pressure.
It takes a while to unlearn the bad habits one gets shaving with a 5-bladed razor. The multiple blades spread out all the pressure you apply so you can get away with it (bed of nails versus lying on a single nail).
So, shallow angle (riding the cap more) and lighter pressure. It will come with time and practice.

@GenericBryce
The AAFES PX has started selling Van Der Hagen DE razors in long and short handles.
If your ship's store carries them, try one out. Not a bad razor but I'd avoid the blades and stay with the Sharks (blades, that is).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Congrats on the good start. There is certainly a learning curve, particularly if you are not used to having to adjust the angle to the ever changing contours of the face. The closeness and comfort will improve with practice.

You will likely need at least 2 cans of Barbasol. Three if you are using the new 7 oz. cans.

Are 10 oz Barbasol cans even currently in production anymore? I seem to recall a thread about that where people were upset about the penny-pinching on the part of manufacturers.

Top Bottom