What's new

Gulf Coast winter hike

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Walked for some miles on Saturday in the Gulf Coast National Seashore.

Got a minute? :cornut: I'll take you there.

I call it "day camping," but I usually carry a pack with everything needed to camp - I just get out of there by dark.

full

I carry these cliip-tags to trailblaze with ...

full

You can't have fun if you stay on the paths! Besides, got GPS and compass.

full

Our woods can be very open ...

full

Or very dense/impassable. So these tags can save you some pain.

full

Long, peaceful sojourns like this are good for the soul.

full

And lead you to places worth seeing.

full

Thought I saw "Cousin It" from Addams Family!

full

Eventually I made it to the water ... found a chair! Good luck.

full

full

And had some ... "lunch." Don't ask.

full

I am a fanboy for Spec Ops gear; love this remake of the classic Vietnam ALICE pack:

full

All right. Get out there and enjoy the great outdoors! Especially while the weather's cool.

Questions, comments are welcome!

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nice pics! Its so much different from the bush we have here but just as easy to get lost in I'm sure lol.

Nice! There is so much more to FL than strip malls and amusement parks! I was so happy to be in Ocala at the Santos MTB trails underneath slash pines and live oaks covered in Spanish Moss on Saturday.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Do you pick up the clip tags on your way back or leave them? Or do you mark them to know they are yours?
Those are interesting. Some of my buddies use the tape that color.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Do you pick up the clip tags on your way back or leave them? Or do you mark them to know they are yours?
Those are interesting. Some of my buddies use the tape that color.

I have about a dozen, and snag them on the way back.

I do mark the new path or area with GPS, so I can re-find it. I have a good compass, so am trying not to rely solely on GPS.

I was told by a guy he used to find Indian arrowheads in there when he was a kid, but all I have found is their oyster-shell middens, or trash heaps.

AA

I have about a dozen, and snag them on the way back.

I do mark the new path or area with GPS, so I can re-find it. I have a good compass, so am trying not to rely solely on GPS.

I was told by a guy he used to find Indian arrowheads in there when he was a kid, but all I have found is their oyster-shell middens, or trash heaps.

AA
Where there are middens, arrowheads are nearby. Check closely after big rains or flooding

Best of luck!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Where there are middens, arrowheads are nearby. Check closely after big rains or flooding

Best of luck!

Wow, thanks!

I've actually found their shell-heaps right on the edge of erosion areas, where half is in the water. There's a tremendous cool indian mound in Destin, not far.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Awesome. Can you do a flat lay photo of your load out?

It's different every time … water. Hammock/straps or a ultralight chair. Snack/food; if needed something to cook with - trioxane bars or mini propane stove. Cammenga compass. Phone, charged. Good knife and CCW. Usually a small parachute, oddly enough. It's a shade tarp when hot, and a poncho-wrap when cold. Olive green it's also cover. Lifestraw. Good trowel for burying trash and stuff. Folding saw. Fire starter kit.

I used to carry way too much stuff - lesson learned. I also used to carry the same BOB; now I force myself to pick each item each time. If I forget something … it's a lesson learned. Cold food, or that time I forgot the hammock straps … luckily had paracord.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
To quote "F Troop": "Where the Fukawee?"

"Agarn!" O'Rourke whacks him with the hat!

Loved the show, there's a lot of interesting trivia.

Think the tribe was the Heckawee ... Management made them go straight.

Calamity Jane was underage, which caused some early embarrassment for Capt. Parmenter ...

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Now I see what I’m missing when I don’t ever poke my head into other sub forums and look around. :)

Great thread and hike Mike, I enjoyed the pics and the story. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Now I see what I’m missing when I don’t ever poke my head into other sub forums and look around. :)

Great thread and hike Mike, I enjoyed the pics and the story. :)

If you're ever in the area, I'll take you there!

Nature is The Great Mystery's true cathedral.

AA

Top Bottom