What's new

Grey Green Coticule

I just ordered a grey green coticule from Jarrod at The Superior Shave. Does anybody know which layer these typically come from? I am new to coti's and see so much discussion about the layers I am curious. Also Jarrod says these are extremely fast so I was wondering if any of you has any tips for me.

I just ordered a grey green coticule from Jarrod at The Superior Shave. Does anybody know which layer these typically come from? I am new to coti's and see so much discussion about the layers I am curious. Also Jarrod says these are extremely fast so I was wondering if any of you has any tips for me.

The ones close to the top of which he had six? Those are La Verte. I don't know how fast they are, but I believe there are two varieties of that vein: faster on slurry and slower on slurry. Do a search for "La Verte" on coticule.be.

I actually think it's strange that he calls these fast and that he prefers "slower" hones (reddish La Dressantes and LPB), considering that this classification is a bit of the opposite of what I've heard from others (particularly, that LPB, La Veinette and Les Latneuses are the fastest currently exploited veins and La Verte and La Grise are slower although still plenty fast, with La Dressante varying). I certainly find the two La Grises that I've had to be slower than my Les Latneuses and La Petite Blanche.

Remember that coticules cut both like waterstones and like oil stones (though much more like waterstones, of course)...these 'verte' stones have, in my experience of ~3 dozen or so now, a greatly enhanced oilstone-based speed capacity. Off the charts for the coticules. Their normal stuff-above-the-plane cutting can be either fast or slow from what I've flattened and played with...

But when submitting an ebay razor to one's will I find nothing wrong with some good old fashioned pressure, and those stones love it and beneft from it. Grise might chip, and wouldn't speed up much anyway were you to do it.

Thus, in terms of going from ebay to cutting arm hair easily, I find none can match their brevity in the coticule realm.

I'd not call LPB slow; their slurry action certainly seems heightened to me. LGB, the brownish one that gets darkened from sunlight exposure, seem really slow.

I can freely admit at this point that the slower coticules have slowly become more appealing to me. It is hard to screw up on them and I'm not in any hurry anyway. But I can recognize and appreciate the speedsters, too, at least for the fact that there seems to be less of them.

Did anyone on these forums buy a little rock we had which was chipped and was, easily and without question, the fastest coticule I've ever seen? I'm sorry I don't keep old pictures of things gone by, but whomever bought it must surely know who they are and I'll bet they're a member here or on the coticule-specific realm...I think it'd be bemusing to hear of some of its novelty speed applications.

Thank you Jarrod for your post. I'm actually now curious about using oil more on these stones. I guess I'm hearing from you that these La Vertes are pretty hard, which helps with using pressure. I agree that many La Grises are soft and flaky. (I say many because I feel I've heard about harder specimens but can't remember where.) Actually, the appearance of a La Grise reminds me of cooked fish. You have to be careful with pressure since they give a ton of feedback and the edge can cause the surface to chip. They do leave wonderfully mellow edges, though.

I actually ended up with that fast La Dressante you speak of. I bought it from someone else who bought it to try it out. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet but will let you know when I do. The previous owner did the work of gluing the chip so that it doesn't fully come off.

Oh sure, back when I started I, being one not afraid of pressure for the cr*p I buy to shave with (I've a soft spot for the old beaters that shave well, that's all of the fleet of users in the house beyond the 1 new 'reference' razor from Dovo and TI each...the more obscure/ugly but still great on the face, the better), had a 'grise' flake off under the blade like it was a high-grit Naniwa or something. Those are one of the softest for sure.

I suppose the oil does indeed help a lot with the modulation of effect and pressure, but then that's also how I kind of regard the really messy coticules, too. Unfortunately, I've not yet come across a real pig which had the speed of those super hard stones, so that you could get lots of the oil benefit but none of that messy oil. I have my 2 office residents and get to touch others every day, so good enough for me.

The owner before was actually able to glue that corner in such a way that the razor can pass right along and the edge doesn't concern itself?!? That's surprising; I don't know how he'd managed to make that fissure invisible to the razor. Hope the prior owner didn't profit too much :)

It is more boring than instant oatmeal to look at those logs for our shop's activity, but one thing I've found; the page that seems highly centered upon the shaving-forum world is surely the coticules page. The rest of the pages, the majority of purchasers most often use terms that clearly indicate they'd know nothing of the shaving obsessed subculture. But we get lots and lots of visitors to the coticule page that get there by incorporating the name of this site and its related sites and my/our name, and we see lots of incoming visitors arriving directly from places where they'd just been discussing coticules in detail.

I know what you mean about some being blazing fast. The very first bout I bought from you has a corner that one rub over it causes black on any razor. On one hand I wish I had the whole coticule like that but on the other that would be one harsh shave. That also could quickly ruin blades.

I bought a grayish/greenish bout from TSS and I love it. It is fast, but not as fast as a large yellow I have, but it has a much nicer feel and feedback. Something about the surface just encourages a light but confident touch and it leaves a lovely edge. It is slower on water, but still faster than my other stones, and I've been inspired by the thread on coticule.be about using soap, so I've been experimenting with soap on this green one. I'm getting good shaves on edges honed with it and it is a special pleasure to use. It is hard, and feels at first like honing on green marble until that little whisky sandy feeling and sound come up as you move the blade across it.

Oh sure, back when I started I, being one not afraid of pressure for the cr*p I buy to shave with (I've a soft spot for the old beaters that shave well, that's all of the fleet of users in the house beyond the 1 new 'reference' razor from Dovo and TI each...the more obscure/ugly but still great on the face, the better), had a 'grise' flake off under the blade like it was a high-grit Naniwa or something. Those are one of the softest for sure.

Nothing wrong with a "beater". :thumbup1:

I suppose the oil does indeed help a lot with the modulation of effect and pressure, but then that's also how I kind of regard the really messy coticules, too. Unfortunately, I've not yet come across a real pig which had the speed of those super hard stones, so that you could get lots of the oil benefit but none of that messy oil. I have my 2 office residents and get to touch others every day, so good enough for me.

I'm a little confused by this paragraph. Could you restate what you mean?

The owner before was actually able to glue that corner in such a way that the razor can pass right along and the edge doesn't concern itself?!? That's surprising; I don't know how he'd managed to make that fissure invisible to the razor. Hope the prior owner didn't profit too much :)

Yup, he (MajorBurnz) actually did a really good job and sold it to me for the price he paid. He's a good and honest guy like that. I think he just used Gorilla-brand CA, which he's previously told me he likes, and then relapped the stone. Since it's a tiny corner anyway, it's hard for it to cause trouble. I tried the stone last night for a touchup on water, and it worked wonderfully. It was reasonably fast on water though not as fast as others, such as my LPB.

It is more boring than instant oatmeal to look at those logs for our shop's activity, but one thing I've found; the page that seems highly centered upon the shaving-forum world is surely the coticules page. The rest of the pages, the majority of purchasers most often use terms that clearly indicate they'd know nothing of the shaving obsessed subculture. But we get lots and lots of visitors to the coticule page that get there by incorporating the name of this site and its related sites and my/our name, and we see lots of incoming visitors arriving directly from places where they'd just been discussing coticules in detail.

I don't know what you're talking about. :whistling:

LOL

"
Originally Posted by kwigibocity
I suppose the oil does indeed help a lot with the modulation of effect and pressure, but then that's also how I kind of regard the really messy coticules, too. Unfortunately, I've not yet come across a real pig which had the speed of those super hard stones, so that you could get lots of the oil benefit but none of that messy oil. "

What I mean by this is that I find high sediment release from a slurry stone to sort of 'raise the level of all ships'...when they make lots of white they seem to me to not be picky about pressure. That's what I like about using oil on an Arkansas stone, too. I just hate the oil cleanup. So I'd love to find a stone which gave off lots of white stuff but was quick. I think I should try some soapy water and see what that's like on the green ones...thumb on the string for next lapping session.

I have a La Verte too, and it is sure greenish in colour. It is slow on slurry and water too, I am far from mastering it yet, but is should give a fabulous edge once I get there.

Top Bottom