What's new

Great Guitar Players that no one talks about

It irks me that some great guitar players remain relatively unknown and do not get the credit they deserve. I am submitting a short list:

1. Danny Gatton-Simply amazing;

2. Sonny Landreth-Killer slide guitarist;

3. Peter Haycock from Climax Blues Band-overlooked by too many for too long;

4. Earl Slick-his solo work and sessions with David Bowie are the stuff of legend;

5. Bill Nelson from BeBop Deluxe-superbly talented and elegant;

6. Kim Simmonds from Savoy Brown;

7. Rod Price from Foghat.

Let's hear your candidates!

I have a couple, one being Stephen Stills his guitar playing is not usually highlighted but it should be. Another may be unknown to a lot of people, but Canadians may know of Bruce Cockburn.

Steve Morsef romr the Dregs and later Kansas. Also , there are a ton of jazz guitarists that do not get recognition they deserve , Jimmy Bruno , Paul Bollenback , Pat Marttino , and classical guitarists , like Elliot Fisk. I love rock and metal just as much as anyone else , but as far as use of scales , tecnique , harmony , the jazz and classical guys are head and shoulders above any rock player.

Possibly not that obscure, but John Squire of the Stone Roses and Bernard Butler of Suede (or 'The London Suede' in the US, I believe) are for my money as good as anyone who's emerged over the last 20 years or so, at least in rock music.

It irks me that some great guitar players remain relatively unknown and do not get the credit they deserve. I am submitting a short list:

1. Danny Gatton-Simply amazing;

2. Sonny Landreth-Killer slide guitarist;

3. Peter Haycock from Climax Blues Band-overlooked by too many for too long;

4. Earl Slick-his solo work and sessions with David Bowie are the stuff of legend;

5. Bill Nelson from BeBop Deluxe-superbly talented and elegant;

6. Kim Simmonds from Savoy Brown;

7. Rod Price from Foghat.

Let's hear your candidates!

Concur. Also for consideration:

Andrew Latimer from Camel
Johnny Marr from The Smiths
John Fahey
Jimmy Herring from ARU and others
ROBERT QUINE
Richard Lloyd
Marc Ribot
Elliot Sharp
Henry Kaiser
Rick Miller from SCOTS

I can't believe I forgot Steve Morse. He was studying music at Univ. of Miami when I was in law school there. Saw him and the Dixie Dregs quite a few times. An amazing player.

Possibly not that obscure, but John Squire of the Stone Roses and Bernard Butler of Suede (or 'The London Suede' in the US, I believe) are for my money as good as anyone who's emerged over the last 20 years or so, at least in rock music.

Good call on John Squire, I had forgotten about him.

I don't really need to post much since my avatar is Robert Quine.

I'll add a few.

Billy Zoom
Prince (Yes I went there.)
Bob Mould

• Andy Summers from The Police (Sting gets all the attention!)
  • Malcolm Young from AC/DC (his brother Angus gets all the attention!)
  • Prince can shred with the best of them
  • Plus that guy from Vampire Weekend is pretty amazing

Top Bottom