What's new

Greasy feathers

Hi all,

I recently bought five 10-packs of feather blades from a store in England. When opening them today, I noticed that all blades had some kind of grease or oil on them (see picture below). The boxes are all labeled "119407J" on the side, which I guess is the batch number.

Has anyone else experienced this? I assume it is not normal? I also opened another pack of feathers (with the same batch number) that I had purchased from another store in Sweden a month ago. These blades also had the same grease on them!

Is is a manufacturing problem with these blades? Do anyone have a box of feathers labeled "119407J" that seems ok?

proxy.php

/Daniel

I believe that is parafin wax to help keep the wrapper on the blade. Most of ALL of the razors nowadays I have bought (in wrappers) have some type of sticky substance for the same reason.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
They're all like that. It's some type of wax used as a preservative. It will come off as soon as it hits hot water.

I've been meaning to ask this for months myself. But yes, I've noticed the residue and I'm glad to know it's normal.

Ok, thanks guys. Sounds good that my blades are ok! I think I will rinse them before using them just to be on the safe side.

I noticed that my Israeli Personnas are completely clean, so it seems to differ between brands.

All the Feathers that I've used (I got them loose, not in packs) came with the wax. Blades that I've gotten in plastic packs (like my faves- the Derbys) don't have the wax.

Blades that come in dispensers without wrappers (e.g. Gillette Platinum) also have some oil on them (mineral oil I believe) which smells horrible, but apparently stops the blades from sticking together.

I believe that is parafin wax to help keep the wrapper on the blade. Most of ALL of the razors nowadays I have bought (in wrappers) have some type of sticky substance for the same reason.

I had the same issue with the Feathers. Not a good idea to have gunk on the blade, gets onto the razor silo doors and the base of the razor head.

The only blade I've found that doesn't have wax on the paper is the Crystal blue and white wrapper.

Top Bottom