What's new

Going travelling - do I really need a shave brush?

I love using my brushes but no longer travel with them. I use either Kiehl’s or Cremo tubed shave cream. Great shaves and less to deal with.

Last edited:
In my occasional travels I have often been reminded that hotel designers don't tend to build out their bathrooms with a sympathetic eye to wet shavers. Given that the venue is often suboptimal, yes, I prefer to take a brush. Having at least some decent shave kit means I'm probably going to get a decent shave.

I have an old RazoRock beehive synthetic. Lather mop, that is, but slapping on a monster blob of lather has its attractions.

I've likewise been back and forth about whether to take some junky razor that just barely shaves or something nicer that I'd really regret losing. Solved that one by taking a nice razor last time out and had lovely shaves that left me quite optimistic for the rest of the experience. In the end, getting a good shave is worth something. You can really ruin your holiday mood with a cruddy shave from some plastic fantastic from the nearest drugstore.

My advice is either A) don't cheap out on your shave kit or B) get a nice electric and just buzz things off in the morning and get on with your day.

O.H.

Good advice, might just bring my small 311 liquids bag from Osprey and my trusty old Philips Norelco shaver, a surprisingly good shave for an electric.

Don't overcomplicate things. You already said you'd take soap with you (bar soap I assume). With the Gillette Sensor and some water, you're good.

Just rub the soap on your face, rub it in a bit with your hands and shave away. You'd be surprised how slick a surface you can create. It's easy and requires 0 extra stuff. You can leave all your dedicated shave stuff at home except for a razor.

And once your in Vietnam and you're not happy, I'm pretty sure you can find some locally made inexpensive brush or at least a small can of foam.

My camping/traveling setup.
IMG_0737.JPG

Shaving kit is simply a Gillette sensor and La toja shaving stick.

I was going to bring a small muhle synthetic travel brush but am thinking it might be unnecessary. From experience the La Toja lathers pretty well without a brush and the sensor doesn’t need much in the way of lubricant to work effectively.

Will be away for about 2-3 weeks so am I really missing out on anything by not bringing a brush? It only weighs 41 grams (yes I measured it) so any weight saving is negligible, but luggage space is severely limited so what do you guys think?

I answered your question for myself like this:

Do I need a shaving brush, in the sense of not being able to shave without one? No
Does a shaving brush add a significant amount of satisfaction to my shave? Yes
Do I need a travel brush if I already own a synthetic? No
If I had neither a good synthetic nor a travel brush, would I rather add a synthetic than a travel brush? Yes*
Instead of a synthetic, would I want to take a brush with natural fibres? No*
Does a synthetic brush add noticeable weight or take up noticeable space when flying with only a carry-on bag? No
Would it be a good idea to get a (Mühle, Epsilon, Simpsons) travel tube? Yes

*I would rather choose a synthetic in a knot size that I like (and that lends itself to later use at home) than a travel brush, which not only tends to be more expensive but also tends to be available only in 18-20 mm knot sizes. Either way, it should be a synthetic brush, as they dry quicker and tolerate better any remaining humidity if there should be insufficient time to dry them before packing.

In summary, for me a shave with a shaving brush is sufficiently superior to a shave without one that I gladly accept the negligible weight and space penalty.

These are my conclusions to your question, yours might of course differ.

B.

Last edited:
Sadly, La Toja shaving cream won’t work, as it is a) out of production and b) at 150ml exceeds what is allowed as carry-on on a flight.

B.
A small amount is transferred to a sample size tub for the kit. Any cream will do.

When I use to Drive Over the Road was gone 30-45 days, packed light. Sleeping bag, Duffle bags with everything else, nylon bag for dirty cloths, and power laundry soap in plastic jug, dryer sheets.

Thinks I needed like razor blades, tooth paste, etc were bought at Wally World.

Vietnam has stuff you can by cheap to make what you bring less. Pack light, pack what you need day one or two in Vietnam.

Buy other stuff in country, and don’t be fussy.

I can't imagine not takinga brush, whether it one day or a few months away.

For short trips, I take an inexpensive synth.
For longer trips, I take the synth plus a boar brush.

I prefer to have awesome shaves on trips as I'm actually more likely to go out more and possibly meet more people, so it makes sense for me to get as good a shave as I do at home.

I travel with my spare Blackbird (or Parker variant if there's a higher risk of razor loss, e.g. Multiple hotel stays etc).

There are MANY other items I would leave out in order to save space in my luggage before I would think of reducing my travel shave kit.

You need a shave brush and normal toothpaste as a minimum. There’s no reason to slum it on holiday. You’re meant to be enjoying yourself. If you want to travel light, ditch the dopp bag for a zip lock bag. It’s lighter, less bulky and will be easier for getting through airport security.

These little fellas don’t take up much room.

IMG_0263.jpeg

These are my ultra compact, long stay, shave kits.

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom