What's new

Gochujang

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Does anyone like to use gochujang? If so, what do you like to use it in? I bought some a while back to make a Korean barbecue sauce. Instead of making a big batch of sauce, I feel like trying it in a number of different things. I haven't done a whole lot of research on different recipes with it, but I was thinking about throwing it in with some stir fried vegetables when making an asain noodle dish. Any thoughts on it, uses, methods of application, or recipes are welcome.

I use Gochgaru (dry peppers) for some mean (6 cloves) garlic chili noodles. They should work with the sauce as well.

You mean Cochugaru (고춧가루), right? As a person who doesn't eat hot I got the shivers only thinking about it. :lol:

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Thanks, but I'm not interested in YouTube videos. I have plenty of cooking resources on YouTube, but I'm looking to see what members here on B&B are doing.

I love it as a way to pep up soups. Bonus Korean power-up: poach an egg in the spicy soup.

Sounds good. Do you add it in while you're cooking the soup, or put it in after like a condiment?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I realize now that you were more likely referring to the gochujang. That you can add earlier.

Yes, I was referring to the gochujang. :) Thanks! I might be making some chicken soup in the next few days. I might have to set a little bit off to the side and try adding some gochujang.

Yes, I was referring to the gochujang. :) Thanks! I might be making some chicken soup in the next few days. I might have to set a little bit off to the side and try adding some gochujang.
One of the best ways I had Korean soup lately was based on jellied chicken stock that came from boiling a roast chicken carcass.
It had spinach, mushrooms, and tofu in it -- credit my Japanese wife, who also uses fish-based dashi a lot.
Gochujang goes great with miso...so add it to miso soup.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
One of the best ways I had Korean soup lately was based on jellied chicken stock that came from boiling a roast chicken carcass.
It had spinach, mushrooms, and tofu in it -- credit my Japanese wife, who also uses fish-based dashi a lot.
Gochujang goes great with miso...so add it to miso soup.

That soup sounds good. I'll be making my stock from roast chicken carcass as well. I generally do more French based flavors when it comes to soup, but maybe I'll do a little research and possibly something different.

I love Japanese cooking. I was fortunate enough to participate in an eighth grade student exchange program to Konan, which is now part of Koka, Shiga. Every single dish I had when I was there was absolutely incredible.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When I make "bowl food" there's usually gochujang involved. When we make kimchi there's usually gochugaru involved.

O.H.

My first introduction to gochujang was in college whenI ordered dolsot bibimbap. The bibimbap came with a bottle of gochujang with which I then proceeded to drown the bibimbap. It was delicious!

If you don't have a dolsot, you can still make bibimbap (I'm sure there are plenty of recipes online that you could follow).

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I did a quick stir fry last night with garlic, onion, broccoli, and bok choy. I put a small spoonful of gochujang in it. Wow! It certainly flavored things up. I figured it would be a little spicy, but I definitely noticed the heat. I like spicy food, so I didn't mind, but I just didn't think it would be quite as potent as it was. I have a little of the stir fry leftover that I'll probably eat with some white rice later this evening.

Does anyone like to use gochujang? If so, what do you like to use it in? I bought some a while back to make a Korean barbecue sauce. Instead of making a big batch of sauce, I feel like trying it in a number of different things. I haven't done a whole lot of research on different recipes with it, but I was thinking about throwing it in with some stir fried vegetables when making an asain noodle dish. Any thoughts on it, uses, methods of application, or recipes are welcome.
My wife will use it for a chili tofu dish she likes. I use it occasionally to spice up sauteed veggies.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I find places to toss in a spoonful or two here and there. It's great in barbecue sauce and other such things.

I've added it to some vinegar for a great, spicy sprinkle.

I also add a good bit of it and some ginger to the jar when I make pickled eggs. Excellent snack!

Top Bottom