What's new

Glycerine Soap Experiment

It's a classic melt and pour soap. It's one that uses SLS but is coconut oil derived as well. It's not a natural MP soap but it's functional and cost effective. If you read the labels on many melt and pour soaps they will be the same. This type of MP soap is commonly used by a whole lot of people. I know a LOT of people who use the MP soaps from this company to make some very beautiful decorated soaps with various decorative molds.

However this will not be the best choice for a shaving soap. It is synthetic surfactants and not soap! Many synthetic surfactants are 'coconut derived'
However, you cannot call it soap.
I have been making CP soaps for about 35 years now. If you want to play with fragrances then by all means use a M&P but don't call it soapmaking. It's more of an arts and craft project, IMHO.
A cold process soap is easily rebatched into a glycerin soap with a little sugar and alcohol (AND the original soap can be tallow based so you can end up with a tallow gylcerin soap!)
The process does take a little time but any craft that is truly a craft does take time and is not completed in a single afternoon with a microwave and a few botles of EO.

Last edited:
If you want to play with fragrances then by all means use a M&P but don't call it soapmaking. It's more of an arts and craft project, IMHO.

I also do CP soap and I do not think MP is making soap it's handcrafted (project) not handmade. That goes along with those that use any type of pre-made base (such as lotions or shampoo's) and add scent and an odd ingredient or two and call it handmade. I've gotten in many heated discussions over this topic with those that strictly use the pre-made bases and what they call their product. (handmade or homemade) But I also realize what is right for me isn't right for someone else, and that makes it ok to use those pre-made products.

But for the means of the average guy/gal (on this site) who wants to do it themselves without a high cost or just for the novelty of it. It does work just fine. And I see no need to tell them that just because it contains SLS or other ingredients that it's bad or wrong.

I see nothing wrong with people who want to do their own thing even if it's with other ingredients that aren't all natural. They are functional and work fine.

Granted SLS has gotten a bad rap, and there are some that are allergic to it. But it's also used in a lot of products. *most* shampoo's use it, and there are very very few made without it. Yet we don't complain about the shampoo we use just that we don't want it in our soap, and both are wash off products. Go figure.........

Granted SLS has gotten a bad rap, and there are some that are allergic to it. But it's also used in a lot of products. *most* shampoo's use it, and there are very very few made without it. Yet we don't complain about the shampoo we use just that we don't want it in our soap, and both are wash off products. Go figure.........

However, in a shaving soap you want soap with the pH between 9 and 10 as any CP or HP soap will be. The high pH will soften the beard and make for an easier shave. SLS based products usually have a much lower pH and therefore are not going to be effective as a shaving soap!
Adding clay to provide slip is a bit of a cheat, IMHO. If you have the proper superfatting you will have all the slip you need. Clay is really used in M&P recipe because the soap is not really formulated for shaving.
Shampoo is a different matter entirely. We do not want to swell the hairshaft when shampooing.
Apples and Oranges!
Besides making soap for a long time I am also a licensed Barber and Cosmetologist and have been for almost as long as I have been making soap. I have also taught both vocations and have a chemistry background so you are treading in my area of professional expertise!

Last edited:
Yet we don't complain about the shampoo we use just that we don't want it in our soap, and both are wash off products. Go figure.........

I complain about it in shampoo! I don't know if it's just correlation without causation, but I used to have problems with an itchy, irritated scalp. It's since gone away since I switched to JASON products, which are SLS free. They don't foam up as well, nor do they make my hair as squeaky clean, but I consider that a positive, I don't want every bit of oil stripped from my hair or scalp. It's the same reason I use Cetaphil on my face.

My fiancee however, doesn't like my shampoo. She has long, beautiful red hair, but since her hair straightening and styling process is pretty involved, she only washes her hair every other day. My shampoo doesn't get her hair clean enough. I have very short hair and wash it every day, so it isn't a problem.

Shampoo is a different matter entirely. We do not want to swell the hairshaft when shampooing.

I was referring to body soap in general, many have issues with it used in their bath soap and then turn around and shampoo their hair with a product with SLS.

While you say they might not be "as effective", they might work pretty darn well for one person but not for another, just like many other shaving products. (as can be read within this forum)

As to the pH of the one soap that used as an example, it does happen to have a pH listed by the site. WSP is a recognized supplier to those that make all types of soaps and other bath and body products. Debbie May personally looks into the issues that will affect her customers and keeps her website and blog updated.
Crafters Choice™ CLEAR SUSPENSION MP Soap Base (2 lb. Tray)
Physical Form: Cloudy Transparent Solid
Melt Point: 122º F.
Typical pH: 9.0-9.8 (this pH is required for dirt removal & rinsability)
Solubility: Soluble in water
So this particular soap has the required pH to as you put it ",soften the beard and make for an easier shave."

But for some they just might like the idea that they are making their own even if they aren't the same quality that you require. Perhaps money is tight right now as it is for soooo many people right now, and it does the job just fine for them without the high price tag of buying it. So what is the harm in letting others know that they can make their own and give them options so they can choose for themselves what is right for them.

When the basic ingredients of a MP is very similar to one commercial brand of shaving soap. With a few added ingredients, the average Joe can make it themselves.

Joel, you sound like your one that is just sensitive to the SLS and many more people these days are. Can't say I have heard of the brand your using but there are a few out there. But like with your fiancee, that just goes to show that what works for one person doesn't work for everyone. And why there are so many different varieties available.

Well, I have been reading about M&P soaps and have learnt a lot. I agree there are 2 sides to the coin...people either don't mind the SLS/SLES in the soap base as they will add a high amount (up to 10%) of butters etc and reduce the effects of SLS/SLES. I personally will not get a soap with SLS/SLES just as a long standing personal preference.

I am buying some shae based shaving soap which I confirmed is free of SLS/SLES. I feel the other veg oils in the soap will be sufficient to provide me with a thick and lasting lather.

Its very interesting reading the responses from soap makers and experienced members!!!

Top Bottom