What's new

Glycerin soaps as preshaves? Does it help?

I have used homemade PSO with little to no benefit, but I notice a difference when I pre lather with a glycerin soap. I had the PAA sandalwood preshave soap, but I am using a cheap puck of VDH glycerin shave soap that I found on clearance at the grocery store.

Yeah, you can get glycerin soap super-cheap at any pharmacy for like 2 bucks

It's probably better than paying $25 for a bottle of AOS oil, the ingredients for it are probably worth a fraction of that

I used to use Ach Brito, and then found that in UK I could get Neutrogena glycerine soap. I generally use that in a pre shave wash. Have also come across Heno de Pravia from Spain which is quite good.

Anybody here use glycerin soap or oil as a preshave?

I know some folks add a shot of glycerin to lather

The oil I have tried not not so much help. I found the glycerin pre-shave definitely helped. Believe it or not I tried Noxema, and was happily surprised. It worked roughly as good as glycerin, and a tub of it is about $5.

Been looking for a simple pre shave for awhile now. Just tried Pears glycerine soap. No complaints. Fresh blade so its hard to determine if it made a diff. Next time I might leave soap on and lather over it.

I have only used a pre-shave oil (free sample with an order) once in 50+ years of shaving and I hated it. However, since I shave before showering, I always wash (and rinse) my face with Grandpa's Pine Tar soap or Neutrogena face bar soap. Since I bloom all my soaps, I guess my pre-shave would be rubbing the water covering the soap on my face and leaving it on while lathering. While I don't think the bloom water really makes a difference in the shave, I hate to waste it.

I will echo those who have advocated Pears as a simple pre-shave option. I will add that a puck of Williams Mug soap makes an excellent pre-shave wash, softening the beard and adding slickness like mad. I typically use Musgo Glyce or a homemade pre-shave that is part glycerin soap and part tallow shave soap (make your own shave soap OR use one you have laying around such as Williams). In my experience the advantage of a pre-shave soap (a good one) is that it adds a little extra slickness to the base for the first pass ...it compensates for the lather being a little off during the first pass. I don't think it is necessary if you have already washed your face in the shower but I still use it as part of my routine, for the added slickness and the nice smell.

Never used a preshave before, but saw this thread and had some glycerin soap and gave a try. Used pure essentails scent free with PdP. Overall impression: good lather improved from what I usually get with this soap in terms of amount and body, but no noticeable difference in slickness. No irritation after 2 passes and closeness was a draw. I'd use again and will probably pair with other shaving soaps.

I will be the dissenting reply. I tried a two week experiment using Whole Foods glycerin soap as a preshave, and I didn't see improvement. Instead, I seemed to get a tackiness. It may have been my water, and of course, it may have been me! YMMV holds true. What works best for me is to shower, put some conditioner on my whiskers while I clean up, and rinse it off. Then I shave. This for me gives me the best results.

I began using a glycerin face soap a few weeks ago with excellent results. i can usually get by with a 1 or 2 pass shave. I got the soap bar for 98 cents at Walmart. it is cheaper than Noxzema or Cremo as a pre-shave.

I have tried a lot of pre shave products, and I have to say MRGLO soaps have been the only one that has made a big difference and improvement to my shaves. For me, a shower just doesn't soften the whiskers. Washing with the glycerin soap and leaving it wet before applying the soap/cream works like a charm and has stayed in my routine since trying it.

Proraso preshave is exactly a glycerin pre shave soap. It contains more water which allows it to be premixed into a paste which is more practical.

Top Bottom