What's new

Glue plug above the brush handle

I have a question on the effect of the glue plug that extends above the brush handle. If I order a brush with a 50mm loft and it has a glue plug that extends 10mm above the handle, is the actual loft 40mm not 50mm?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The loft will be 50mm but it will perform like a 40mm brush. It is all very inconsistent as two brushes may appear identical but one may have a glue bump and one not. Most brush makers do not measure a glue bump or describe it in their specifications, an exception being Paladin who refer to 'loft' and also 'free loft' for each of their brushes, where free loft equates to the loft minus any glue bump.

A glue bump will obviously lower the effective loft which may be a good thing or not. I have a Simpson M6 which I love; it has a glue bump and I believe it would be far too lofty without it. That said, Simpson play so fast and loose with their lofts, with +/- 5mm apparently being within tolerance, that the whole thing is a total lottery anyway.

The loft will be 50mm but it will perform like a 40mm brush. It is all very inconsistent as two brushes may appear identical but one may have a glue bump and one not. Most brush makers do not measure a glue bump or describe it in their specifications, an exception being Paladin who refer to 'loft' and also 'free loft' for each of their brushes, where free loft equates to the loft minus any glue bump.

A glue bump will obviously lower the effective loft which may be a good thing or not. I have a Simpson M6 which I love; it has a glue bump and I believe it would be far too lofty without it. That said, Simpson play so fast and loose with their lofts, with +/- 5mm apparently being within tolerance, that the whole thing is a total lottery anyway.

+2! Visible glue bump will not count ‘against’ the measured loft, but it will affect performance. :popc::popc:

Top Bottom