What's new

Gillette Tech with Lux Handle = Awesome?

I realise that this has been mentioned before, but I thought I'd also reflect on this. A Gillette Tech with the handle of a Lux DE razor is just awesome.

The Gillette Tech, on its own, is already an awesome razor, which I would happily vote number 1 of all time. Yes, there are razors I like more, but at the end of the day, the Tech is just a simple razor that does the job to perfection. Always smooth, yet as close as anything I have tried. The build quality is also excellent, and I have never seen parts made cheaply so they don't fit, or work properly. However, I find that the Tech has always suffered from light-weight handles. The thick handle designs (both the American and the English versions) are very light, and even the ball-ended handle is, to some extent.

On the other side, the Lux razor. This, as far as I understand it, originated in Poland, and was possibly for Military use. I have shaved only once with this, and found that it certainly shaves smoothly, but not as good as the Tech. Furthermore, part of it seems quite cheaply made. The handle is beautiful. Very grippy, heavy, and well made. The head, however, is a different matter. The middle piece (which the blade sits on) is made of cheap, light metal. The top part is heavier, but does not seem to have been made well either, as it seems somehow more curved on one side than on the other. It seems that the balance of this razor is certainly more towards the handle. The razor works, and certainly, if I had nothing else (like on a battlefield somewhere, if this was indeed part of military kit) then it would do the job fine. But, as I do have alternatives, I would not purposely go for this as my one and only razor.

Both of these razors have faults, but, it seems that combined, they are superb. I took my thick handled Tech, and simply attached the handle from the Lux. The result is a razor with near-perfect balance. Te weight of the handle really transforms the Tech, and allows the use of much less pressure, than otherwise. Also, it just feels so much better when in use. I have put my Tech handle in a drawer now, and just use this one exclusively. It is seriously a brilliant razor. A simple swap of the handle just transforms it. For travelling, this is my main razor now.

I know this is a long post, but I just thought this razor hybrid deserved a bit more coverage.

You mean one of these ..... :biggrin:

proxy.php

One of the neat things about Techs and various Tech-based razors are their interchangeability. I have tried the Lux handle with the Feather Portable and the Tech and it indeed improves their balance. The Lux handle is wider and is solid.

"Removed some Lux off-topic comments" - what were they? I was already asleep by then, I'm intrigued now.

"Removed some Lux off-topic comments" - what were they? I was already asleep by then, I'm intrigued now.

I thought my thoughts were more in line with a Lux review and so I removed them. I probably should have just left them or edited them without comment. Below are the basic thoughts.

I had heard that the Lux's were made in Poland in the 60's cold war era and that I think they are made with un-plated stainless steel. The guard rails seem very unique in that they bend down and away from the blade with larger parallel slots. Also that the tolerance on the knobs and center post are such that you don't have to fiddle with it to make it even.

Top Bottom