What's new

Gillette British Aristocrat No. 16. Could It End My RAD?

One would think....

$DSCN6520.jpg$DSCN6503.jpg$DSCN6507.jpg$DSCN6510.jpg$DSCN6512.jpg

..... but I think all it's really done is made me want to get a No. 66.... and a No. 21.... and a No. 70..... and a No. 15.....

Ben

I thought my #21 would be a RAD killer, and then my #15 (which isn't even here yet). And until your post, I had never even heard of a #70!

Seriously, the combination of balance and heft of this razor is equaled by no other razor in my collection. It has the smooth British TTO mechanism and is as smooth as any shave I've ever had. On top of all that.... just look at it! It's the most beautiful DE razor ever IMO..... of course the other British Aristocrat siblings give it a run for it's money in the looks department..... especially the No. 66 and the No. 21 if you prefer no end caps and open comb looks. The condition of my razor is excellent with no plate loss and only one tiny water spot on the one door. The case is in a little rougher shape as you can see from the photos. I'm very happy to have a cased Aristocrat set none the less.... I've been eyeballing the No. 16 ever since I started looking into vintage Gillettes. It caught my eye early on.

Ben

I have the very same work of art and thought the same thing but Alas the RAD continues. Great score looks in top shape and the shaves are truely impressive.

Seriously, the combination of balance and heft of this razor is equaled by no other razor in my collection. It has the smooth British TTO mechanism and is as smooth as any shave I've ever had. On top of all that.... just look at it! It's the most beautiful DE razor ever IMO..... of course the other British Aristocrat siblings give it a run for it's money in the looks department..... especially the No. 66 and the No. 21 if you prefer no end caps and open comb looks. The condition of my razor is excellent with no plate loss and only one tiny water spot on the one door. The case is in a little rougher shape as you can see from the photos. I'm very happy to have a cased Aristocrat set none the less.... I've been eyeballing the No. 16 ever since I started looking into vintage Gillettes. It caught my eye early on.

Ben

The only British Aristo I have held in my hand is a #21, but it is indeed an impressive piece of engineering.

if you had to stop - it would be a good place to!

Collecting the Brits can be an expensive journey. I gathered a few then settled on the #66 because it was in great shape. Your #16 would definitely be enough as far as solid bar Brits go.

One would think....

..... but I think all it's really done is made me want to get a No. 66.... and a No. 21.... and a No. 70..... and a No. 15.....

Ben

That's a beautiful razor! Now that you've seen the elegance of British Aristocrats, you of course need to complete your British Aristocrat collection by buying those no. 15, 21, 66, 70 as well as the no. 58! Did I mention that the gold version of the no. 16 is also beautiful? So you may want to add that as well, while you're at it!

Congrats
Exquisite piece.
The knurling is superb

The challenge for me has been the price of admission.....

Ben,
That is outstanding. Congrats with a nice pickup. May I join you? I just received one from down under myself.

Attachments

• $IMG_20130809_215450_227.jpg
    $IMG_20130809_215450_227.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 239
  • $IMG_20130809_215604_719.jpg
    $IMG_20130809_215604_719.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 239
Top Bottom