What's new

Gilette is NG-Is there a good brand?

Have been using Gilette 2 blade and then 3 blade(mach 3) cartridges for more years than I would like to admit. Over the past year or so I have found that gilette has cheapened their 3 blade cartridge. I used to get about 10 shaves per blade-I wet shave in the shower with no shaving cream. Now the first shave is not as close or smooth as it used to be and I get about 3-4 shaves out of a cartridge. The second-fourth shaves have pull. I purchased an electric sharpener that helps-it extends the life of the blades. Gilette has to have cheapened it's manufacturing process and the outcome stinks. I have a shower at my office that I only use once in a blue moon. In the shower I have a gilette razor that uses a 2 blade cartridge. It must be 5 years old and the blades are about the same age. I recently shaved with these and found that the shave was smoother and closer (and they last for about 10 shaves) than my recent experiences with the new 3 blade cartridges that I use at home.

Does any company make decent blades? Gilette is now making a poor product. The old gilette 2 blade cartrige works great. If someone could recommend a 2 blade or 3 blade cartridge I would appreciate it. By the way the electric sharpener works pretty good.

gary

If you're looking for two blades, try the Sensor. I used the Sensor for many years and I liked it so much that I never bothered buying a Mach3. It seems to me that Gillette is slowly phasing them out because they're getting harder to find and they're sometimes almost as expensive as the Mach3 cartridges. FWIW, I prefer the regular Sensor, not the Excel.

you could always go that last step to single blade. if youre worried about getting less shaves per blade (and therefore higher cost per shave) single de blades that last a couple shaves cost you a couple of cents each.

Sounds like you need to take the DE plunge.
+1 The last cartridge I used regularly was the Sensor.......I really didn't like it all that much but got used to it. I found twords the end all the cartridge refills were big packs, and very expensive! Thats what led me here and back to the old DE where I started 30 years ago! SMART MOVE! :biggrin:

Has anyone noticed the latest ads from Gilette? They're recommending to change blades more frequently, as "even the best of us get dull" (or something like that).

Step 1: Make your m3 razor (with proprietary cartridges) the industry standard.
Step 2: Make your blades dull faster (and likely cheaper to make)
Step 3: Advertise for customers change blades more frequently (increase sales)
Step 4: Profit!!! (assuming that your competition also has quickly dulling blades, or assuming that people won't notice that your competition has better blades)

If their m3 blades dull quickly now, but the fusion blades don't, it could be a move to get people to move to the more expensive fusion cartridges.

It could also be a manufacturing change for m3 blades, due to the new m3 disposable.

FWIW, I just made the switch to DE recently, and the m3 blades seemed to last a while for me. I might be more particular now, after experiencing the lack of pull from a DE with a sharp blade.

I have no tolerance for any Gillette, or any other cartridge system made since 1970.:mad3:

It's the classic struggle: "High art vs. Pop Culture." A straight, a good DE, some good supplies, a good badger brush, a hot towel or two...

...vs a can of gooey muck and a terrible cartridge system that was specifically designed to (1) pull the hair out of the follicle (2) scrape the lather off the skin so subsequent blades are pulled over unlubricated skin, (3) to cost significantly more than DE blades.

It's like comparing some fine home-made Italian cooking to a Pizza Flavored Hot Pocket.

You get out of life what you put into it...except in cartridge systems. There, you put in $15-20 for a pack of cartridges that will leave you with ingrown hairs and stubble all day long.

Take the plunge!

"You'll never never know if you never never go." Get a decent DE razor and blades and you'll never want to go near those cartridges again.

And a warm welcome to B&B. The fun starts.

Cheers

Jeremy

Top Bottom