What's new

Getting into Safety Razor Shaving

@schinster ...I'm going to be accused of being a "Fanboy". However, I'm going to recommend contacting Italian Barber and purchasing a RazoRock Game Changer GC 68-P, I think the price is $55. This is a CNC machined, 316L stainless steel razor and you get excellent customer service on top of that.

The material it's made out of is a premium grade of stainless used in Aerospace, marine environments, medical instruments and the manufacturer of industrial products. It's 'way overkill' for a razor. Your grandkids and probably there kids will be able to use the same razor.

This is just my opinion, but I have three RazoRock razors and love each of them. I'm 68 years old and a longtime DE razor user and I can say without hesitation the Game Changer razors ( and the Lupo) have given me some if the best shaves of my life.

Ditto on the Astra SP blades.

b/r

ON_1

The Razorock razors are a great value, and their knurled handles are very grippy. I like the UFO and Barber Pole.

Well might be late with my idea, I am guy who has many allergies.

Fighting to recover from INGROWN hair that created pimple.

Fixed problem by pulling hair, draining pimple, applied antibiotic goo. Cover with bainaid, four hour later I was reacting to adhesive.

Week later skin is still not 100% on Left side of face.

Some people are like me, we have allergies.

I try to get small size of blades, shave soap to test because some thing do not work well for me.

My feet sill flair up with Rott I contracted in Military, some people just don’t have bullet proof skin.

I keep track of new thing I eat, put on skin, and shave with.

If something cause bad reaction, product is not Bad, just not something my body likes.

As we age, we do not heal well.

Skin allergies are no fun.

After 4 shaves, I can definitely say that I am loving it. I purchased the razorock game changer 68 instead of an adjustable because a lot of reviews for the adjustables showed issues with quality control and I knew that if I needed a more aggressive shave I could swap out a part on the game changer. I also switched to cremo for my shave cream. The only draw back I can see with the cremo is that it tends to harden so I have to account for that. I took my sweet time with my first few shaves.

For my first shave I went strictly WTG and managed to just knick myself once. It was more about not applying pressure and finding the proper angle. For my second shave I went WTG and then XTG, again trying to make sure that I was going by feel instead of forcing what I thought the proper angle looked like. I find that after going across the grain, I feel very close to BBS so I don't think that I will try ATG anytime soon.

I am still really new at this, but I think that the Astra green blades might not be sharp enough. I don't feel a lot of tugging with a new blade, but on my second shave with the blade I notice some tugging. Any suggestions on the next blade to try?

Thanks you all for helping me. I can't wait to have my college kid try my new razor when he gets home for the summer.

Congratulations on your purchase and progress, sounds like you're having good fun and promising results!
When it comes to blades, a sampler back is probably a great idea.
They all feel a bit different, but keep in mind that as you progress, the blade preference can change. In the Game Changer i like the Gillette Nacet and the Perma-Sharp blades, however most other blades work fine for me too, the Astra included.
You'll likely find out that the shave angle is something you can adjust as well, making the blades feel and cut different.
With the GC I prefer a shallow angle (also called riding the cap), which means you place the cap on the skin first and then angle the grip down until the razor bites the way I like it.
You can choose to shave at a steep or shallow angle and as long as no excess pressure is used, both are perfectly safe.

After 4 shaves, I can definitely say that I am loving it. I purchased the razorock game changer 68 instead of an adjustable because a lot of reviews for the adjustables showed issues with quality control and I knew that if I needed a more aggressive shave I could swap out a part on the game changer. I also switched to cremo for my shave cream. The only draw back I can see with the cremo is that it tends to harden so I have to account for that. I took my sweet time with my first few shaves.

For my first shave I went strictly WTG and managed to just knick myself once. It was more about not applying pressure and finding the proper angle. For my second shave I went WTG and then XTG, again trying to make sure that I was going by feel instead of forcing what I thought the proper angle looked like. I find that after going across the grain, I feel very close to BBS so I don't think that I will try ATG anytime soon.

I am still really new at this, but I think that the Astra green blades might not be sharp enough. I don't feel a lot of tugging with a new blade, but on my second shave with the blade I notice some tugging. Any suggestions on the next blade to try?

Thanks you all for helping me. I can't wait to have my college kid try my new razor when he gets home for the summer.
I had the same experience you did with the Astra blades. I went with the Personna Platiumum (I believe they call them Blue Israeli) and those have been perfect for me so far.

The easiest way to get a good shave is the preparation.

It is not at all complicated. All you need is water, that's it.

Give yourself 5-minutes before you begin you actual shaving routine. While you are getting other things together, throw some water on your face. Continue to do other things and throw some water on your face in between your tasks.

The water need time to penetrate the hair and to soften the skin a bit.

Your soap drying out is not a good sign. Your face needs to get and stay wet, at the beginning and throughout the shave.

The Astra greens are a popular razor blade that is used all over the world every day.

Chances are that it is plenty sharp enough to shave your face with. Keep your face wet and your shaving soap well moisturized and you will do fine.

Top Bottom