What's new

Gentlemen's Essentials: Snus

I really enjoyed reading that! My grandfather came to the US when he was five years old, and all of that part of the family is Swedish. Most still live there. I remember he always used Copenhagen and I had no idea there was such a thing as "snus". I always thought it was another name for snuff, although I always thought snuff was meant to be inhaled.
In my youth, I experimented with Copenhagen since Grandpa used it. That was a short experiment. I ended up smoking cigarettes for 20+ years before I was finally able to quit.

They have something called "Snus" available now here in Canada but it's $9 for some tiny little can, just like Skoal is now $21.99 for a can.

I've slowed down on the dipping, I smoke a little bit here and there too, it's too expensive at home so I go down to the US every now and then and stock up a little bit. $3 per pack of cigarettes vs. $13.

A friend ordered snus from Sweden once and I can't believe it did, but it came through customs no problem and he got it, and it was not too bad.

People laugh when I say it, but I've kind of found over the past few years I've gotten into something of a routine, where I'll smoke a bit for a couple of months, then go buy some dip and do that for a while, then go back. I have to believe it gives your mouth and lungs a break and doesn't cause the same consistent stresses on a certain place.

But I've never managed to get really into either, for me when I am smoking I'll have maybe 3 or 4 cigarettes a day, couldn't imagine going through an entire pack each day.

But even though all the evidence points to it being a far healthier alternative, the government insists on putting HUGE warning labels on the cans saying "THIS IS NOT A SAFER ALTERNATIVE TO CIGARETTES!!!" They are like little children, - either you quit outright or screw you. oh I hate them.

I asked my mom about snus as she has had far more contact with the Swedes in our family. I guess my grandpa used the term frequently referring to Copenhagen.

As someone who's not had a milligram of nicotine in him, ever, it was a bit strong. If I decided to make it a regular thing I'd have to find something not so sweet.

Kratos,

Why on earth would you want to start down this path as someone "who's not had a milligram of nicotine in him"?

You've got a lot going for you in all respects, as far as I can tell. Treat your body well.

- Chris

I really enjoyed reading that! My grandfather came to the US when he was five years old, and all of that part of the family is Swedish. Most still live there. I remember he always used Copenhagen and I had no idea there was such a thing as "snus". I always thought it was another name for snuff, although I always thought snuff was meant to be inhaled.
In my youth, I experimented with Copenhagen since Grandpa used it. That was a short experiment. I ended up smoking cigarettes for 20+ years before I was finally able to quit.

Thanks Tom! My background is similar. I'm of Swedish descent, but none of my people ever used snus. They knew what it was, but they all preferred cigarettes. Go figure.

"Snus" is literally translated as "snuff". The only thing I can piece together is that in the Olde English script of the day, many of the "s" and "f"'s were transposed, so a word like Sausage looked like Soffagewhen written. Many of the early imported packages of snuff that were being brought into Sweden were labeled Snuss, so somewhere the Swedes dropped the extra "s" and pronounced the "U" sound with a heavy "ooh" instead of a short "uh" (as the Swedes are wont to do :biggrin:).

So yes, snus does mean snuff, and it was meant to be taken up the nose. The Swedes started putting it in their mouths to get more longevity out of it, and so far as I know they were the first to do so.

But even though all the evidence points to it being a far healthier alternative, the government insists on putting HUGE warning labels on the cans saying "THIS IS NOT A SAFER ALTERNATIVE TO CIGARETTES!!!" They are like little children, - either you quit outright or screw you. oh I hate them.

Our government is the same way. The laws restricting the way tobacco can be sold or advertised are so stringent that even if there is proof that a certain product is safer than cigarettes, anything tobacco related has to be sold with a "This is not a safe alternative to cigarettes" or "This can cause mouth decay or gum disease." It saddens me so much when I see the General cans that are made here with those stupid, lying labels on them. That's why I call the government hypocritical, because in all their studies, different types of oral tobacco is shown to be a million times safer than cigarettes or cigars, yet they lie to you and tell you that they are not. That's BS, and hopefully one day we can overcome the nonsense. The Feds make so much money off of cigarette taxes, though, they're not going to let you quit them that easily. :wink:

What would you suggest for someone who dips nothing but Cherry Skoal?

Unfortunately there aren't any good cherry flavored brands out there that I know of, at least in loose. There is a company called Nordic American that makes a Wild Cherry snus, but it doesn't have any kind of noticeable nicotine kick. The flavor kind of tastes like cherry cough syrup (which, oddly, I kind of enjoyed...) but I can't say I recommend it. They also have a Klondike Cherry Blast that has a little more of a nic hit, but I don't care for the flavor. If they could only combine the two...

If you like fruity, and like loose, the only one that I can think of offhand would be Offroad Cranberry, though like I warned about V2 products, you're either going to love them or hate them.

If you can deal with portions, and want something on the fruity side, there is Mocca Pomegranate (which is very mild in nicotine and has a slight pomegranate flavor), Gotlandssnus Flader (which tastes sort of like sour apple), Jakobsson Ice Fruit (which tastes like Juicy Fruit gum mixed with Doublemint), Skruf Tranbar (Cranberry), and possibly Taboca, which many say tastes like an orange creamsicle (I don't personally see it, but hey :001_rolle).

Kratos,

Why on earth would you want to start down this path as someone "who's not had a milligram of nicotine in him"?

You've got a lot going for you in all respects, as far as I can tell. Treat your body well.

- Chris

I agree with Chris 100%. Stay away from that US junk! :lol:

Seriously though, I never recommend snus to anyone if they aren't already a chewer or a smoker. But at the same time I'm not going to wag my finger at a grown man. Andy, think hard before you take this path, and if it's one you choose to take, I'll support you either way.

Also other than a few that General developed for the US market, you're not going to find anything that tastes remotely like Skoal or Cope in a Swedish snus. I'd be all over a Skoal Straight flavored snus! :w00t: General has a Wintergreen flavor that tastes like all the wintergreen dips I've tried plus a mint mini. Other than the ones mentioned above I'd also suggest Roda Lacket which has a taste that reminds me of strawberry jam.

Getsnus has some sampler packs that include a free General US sample and snuscentral has a big supply of sampler packs.

One thing to remember especially if your quitting smoking is that if you don't like a certain snus,don't toss it! Try it again a few days or a week later as your tastes are changing so fast you'll think your taste buds are schizophrenic. I quit a 40 year cig habit 8-9 months ago with snus and I'v recently revisited a few I liked at 1st, like Icefruit & Tranbar and discovered that they're just to sweet for me now. If you're a smoker that wants to quit I'd suggest along with whatever regular strength snus you get,pick up at least one "Sterk" or strong snus 12-14 mg nicotine for those weak moments while you're having your morning coffee or after dinner. The super sterks (up to 17mgs) aren't really necessary IMO.

Welcome, Ryan and Norwester!

I wanted to also point out to the guys looking for flavored snus, Getsnus.com is now carrying the entire Discreet line. There are five flavors- Peach, Strawberry, Full Flavor, Emerald Ice and Cool Mint. They are in the mini portion size (shaped like the US Camel snus) but supposedly have a decent amount of nicotine (unlike the Camel snus). I haven't tried them yet, but I wanted to post that for the guys that are hesitant to dip their toe in the pool of Swedish awesomeness. :biggrin: At .99 a pack, I'm going to give them all a shot on my next order.

Rob-

Check out Discreet's webpage. Fill in the "contact us" and they will send you 2 envelopes of everything to try out. I was not much of a fan, but as they say- YMMV

Hey Rob, I went to this thread once you told me about it in the chat. Do you know where I can find any of the following:

* BaccOff (V2 Tobacco)
* Choice (Nicofree)
* EneRgy (Rebel Tobacco AB)
* Jakobsson's Nikotinfria
* Onico
* XQ´s

All herbal snus w/o tobacco or niccotine.

Hey Rob, I went to this thread once you told me about it in the chat. Do you know where I can find any of the following:

* BaccOff (V2 Tobacco)
* Choice (Nicofree)
* EneRgy (Rebel Tobacco AB)
* Jakobsson's Nikotinfria
* Onico
* XQ´s

All herbal snus w/o tobacco or niccotine.

Yes, Northerner carries the Energy, XQ, Jakobsson's, Onico, and a new one called KickUp. They have the largest selection of tobacco/nicotine free snus on the web.

My favorite tobacco/nic free snus is the Onico Enbar (Juniper) but the only place I have seen it online is Snus Worldwide. Their shipping is a bit high so it's not worth ordering anything unless you get four or five cans total.

Choice I have never heard of, and BaccOff tastes like pure garbage, you don't want to try it even if you can find it. ;)

I got some General Extra Sterk and Sterk earlier this week. Pretty great stuff. These portions pack a punch :w00t:

I have never liked the extra strong brands for some reason. When I need the extra punch I just stack two instead. But then I almost always has a snus under my lip when I'm not eating or sleeping so it is also a choice to keep it down a little.

I have never liked the extra strong brands for some reason. When I need the extra punch I just stack two instead. But then I almost always has a snus under my lip when I'm not eating or sleeping so it is also a choice to keep it down a little.

I use like 4 portions per day so stronger snus fits better for me. Fortunately these strong versions of General tastes pretty much same as the Original Portion which I very much enjoy.

My first order of 10 tins was intercepted by Australian customs.:frown:My $21 order is going to cost me $79.83.:mad::mad:What a bargain.:rolleyes:I feel like I've been bent over a large barrel.I suppose Australia is just becoming another police state,like Canada.:biggrin:

My first order of 10 tins was intercepted by Australian customs.:frown:My $21 order is going to cost me $79.83.:mad::mad:What a bargain.:rolleyes:I feel like I've been bent over a large barrel.I suppose Australia is just becoming another police state,like Canada.:biggrin:

I'm sorry to hear that! I would have refused the shipment, and then reordered it ad infinitum until it passed by undetected. :biggrin:

On the other hand, the cans with taxes cost you 8.00 a tin, which is roughly what a can costs if you purchase it in the store here in New Jersey or New York. Always try and look at the bright side. :lol:

I was reading through this thread when my wife started reading over my shoulder. "What's Sn.....snoo.....S.N.U.S?" So I started explaining and we discussed it briefly. I smoke cigars and a corn cob pipe every now and again and used to smoke cigarettes regularly, so she knows that I enjoy using tobacco.

Since the "it's easier to ask forgiveness later than to ask permission now" mentality hasn't worked so hot for me in the past :rolleyes:, I mentioned the $1.00 sample of General and expressed interest in trying it. She didn't object, so I've got a can of white portions on its way. :smile:

I was reading through this thread when my wife started reading over my shoulder. "What's Sn.....snoo.....S.N.U.S?" So I started explaining and we discussed it briefly. I smoke cigars and a corn cob pipe every now and again and used to smoke cigarettes regularly, so she knows that I enjoy using tobacco.

Since the "it's easier to ask forgiveness later than to ask permission now" mentality hasn't worked so hot for me in the past :rolleyes:, I mentioned the $1.00 sample of General and expressed interest in trying it. She didn't object, so I've got a can of white portions on its way. :smile:

That's awesome! Let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom