What's new

GEMini returns - 2017 Edition

A tradition like no other...

Gemini, the Zodiac Month of May 21st-June 20th, gives us a perfect excuse to concentrate our minds on the wonderful world of GEM razors and their close relations such as Star-Kampfe and Ever Ready.

Bring out your 1914s, 1924s and 1912s. Show the world your Micromatics, Gbars and your Featherweights. Shine a light on your Juniors and Damaskeenes. Revel in your lather catchers. Air your Streamlines or Jewels.

Discard those johnny-come-lately DEs for a while. Celebrate the month of GEMini.

First shave. I usually think of the Flying Wing as a bit too mild, but today's shave was spot on.

GEM Flying Wing
GEM PTFE SS (1)
Coates Sandalwood cream
L'Occiatane Plisson Synthetic

I've already shaved today and as it happens it was with a :
British ER 1912
Mystery Edge
Tabac
Omega 81230
I only have one razor from this family/group but two others on the way
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/crEAAOSwJH1ZG4Ts/$_3.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5OVgxNjAw/z/mDUAAOSwlY1ZFx5V/$_1.JPG

Edit: Any info on those two models would be gratefully received.
A Featherweight - can't help you there, never used one. About the only GEM I haven't owned.
the 1924 is a wonderful shaver. Very efficient just like the 1912, perhaps more aggressive.

A Featherweight - can't help you there, never used one. About the only GEM I haven't owned.
the 1924 is a wonderful shaver. Very efficient just like the 1912, perhaps more aggressive.
Thanks, I look forward to trying them. I love my 1912.

GEM DAMASKEENE

SETUP:
PRORASO pre shave(white)
Gem DAMASKEENE/Gem Double Life Blade
D.R. Harris Arlington
FLOID VIGOROSO
image.jpeg

CCS
:shaving:

I really like it, as you said more aggressive, more blade exposure and a heavier head. But still very smooth. A friend for life :001_302:
Do you ever get used to the clip at the back?

P.S forgot to mention, sings even louder than the 1912. Buttering toast? More like walking on gravel.

Last edited:
Seems like a good reason to take a break from the Artist Club bladed SE's I've been using as of late.

proxy.php

Today's shave (and probably the next couple of days) featured this open comb Gem Damaskeene, one of my favorite 1912's. It's in great condition, especially for being over 100 years old, and is a smooth shaver loaded with a Gem stainless steel ptfe blade.

--Bob

I really like it, as you said more aggressive, more blade exposure and a heavier head. But still very smooth. A friend for life :001_302:
Do you ever get used to the clip at the back?

P.S forgot to mention, sings even louder than the 1912. Buttering toast? More like walking on gravel.
No, I never get used to it. It's the hardest to open, followed by the 1914 Lift Here.
The only thing I dislike on the 24 is the need to shake out water after rinsing off soap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GEM Flying Wing
GEM PTFE SS (2)
Stone Cottage Hesperides cream
L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic

I used to find the Flying Wing the least aggressive and least efficient of my SE arsenal. Today I got as close to zero irritation BBS as I ever do. Wonderful shave.

As always a great shave from the 1914

USA: Ever-Ready 1914
USA: GEM PTFE blade(7)
Italy: Proraso Red
Italy: Omega 40033 Mighty Midget Boar
USA: Pinaud Clubman

proxy.php

Gem Damaskeene Open Comb
Gem Stainless Steel PTFE blade (3)
The Grooming Co. synthetic brush
Chiseled Face Groomatorium Summer Storm soap & aftershave

Another super-smooth shave with the Damaskeene OC.

--Bob

A Gem of A Shave

Gem DAMASKEENE what a fine shaving instrument. This is my first vintage SE purchased after I purchased the Alumnigoose. It is a fine razor and I still marvel that we need any other.

Setup:
Omega boar brush
GEM DAMASKEENE/GEM DOUBLE LIFE
D.R. HARRIS ARLINGTON
FLOID VIGOROSO
image.jpeg

The only thing I dislike on the 24 is the need to shake out water after rinsing off soap.
I must say it took me by surprise, it holds a bucket full, but I don't mind as I automatically shake the razor after rinsing.

British ER Featherweight
Gem PTFE SS (4)
Lea classic
EJ Medium BB

Not as efficient as the 1912 or '24 but still resulted in an irritation free DFS.

Yesterday's shave went to a random fumbling in my razor shoe box.
Came up with my favorite razor of them all, a replated ER 1914. Still great.

ER 1914
GEM PTFE SS (3)
Coate's Tea Tree cream
L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic

USA Gem push button
Gem PTFE SS (5)
Omega eucalyptus
Omega 81230

First time I've used this razor, it doesn't get a lot of love on some shaving forums but I must say I prefer it to the Featherweight.
It seemed it bit unbalanced at first but once I lowered my grip, it did all the work by itself.

Top Bottom