What's new

Gem Micromatic & Eversharp-Schick Injector

I stopped in an antique shop in Northern Vermont while I was traveling for business. They had a few razors that the owner said they had sitting around for a VERY long time. She offered me a good deal to take everything (at least it seemed good to me). So here are two of them, appropriately placed in the Single Edged section. The seem to be in decent shape and after a good cleaning, usable. I don't know anything about them, so I'd like to ask; Are they good shavers or merely just collectible? Is it possible to buy refills for the injector? I may be mistaken but it doesn't look like I can insert more blades into the "key". And lastly, if you guys think it'd be worth cleaning and using the Gem, what's the best way to clean it and remove the rust without scratching it all up? Thanks guys!

$photo 1.jpg$photo 2.jpg$photo 10a.jpg

Both are great razors. I am not as familiar with injectors as I am with micromatics. Best way to clean them is scrubbing bubbles , or sometimes I use simple green and a toothbrush. You can use metal polish like Maas on the MM , but I would not use it on the injector or any other gold colored razor.

The rust came from an old blade. +1 to what demaro wrote.
Single edge blades are available in many pharmacies and Wal-mart etc

I have about as many clues on the injectors as your average salamander.

I have about as many clues on the injectors as your average salamander.

Injectors were my second regular razor as a young person, after using an SE for a couple of years on the emerging peach fuzz. If you have ever used a TracII, you know what an Injector handles like. The first of Gillette's razors looking just like TracII types were actually Gillette clones of Schick Injectors. Razors of that shape are the direct ancestors of the Atras and Sensors, without the moving head. I can't remember immediately what name Gillette stuck on their clone.

All that by way of saying they are very easy to get a good shave with.

They're both excellent razors and well worth using - and you can still get blades from both.

The GEM: In the UK I use GEM SE blades from Connaught, but I think there are more varieties available in the US - but be careful to get ones actually made for shaving and not for paint scraping.

Schick: Chinese made Schick blades can be found on eBay, for example here (not recommending that seller necessarily - it's just the first one I found with a quick search). Personna also make injector blades, but I don't know where to get those in the US.

Top Bottom