What's new

Gem Lather Catcher Razors Question

Are the Gem 1912 and Damaskeene considered to be lather catchers, semi lather catchers or what? I wondered as if they are considered lather catchers then I have 6 Gem lather catcher versions, the Gem Zinn, New Gem, Gem Junior Bar and Gem Junior. Then the Damaskeene and 1912. So do I have 4 or 6 lather catcher Gem models?

I don't consider the 1912 style razors to be lather catchers. They have residual small lather catching hoods that are more cosmetic than they are functional.

I do consider (for example) the Gem Junior Bar razor circa 1907 to be a lather catcher.

The lather catcher design, as I understand it, requires a larger "hood" for catching and holding the spent lather, AND it requires an open design in the head for lather to freely flow through the razor's head to be deposited in the hood.

Most lather catcher razors seem to date from the last decade of the 19th century and from the first decade of the 20th century. They commonly have a lot of fancy engraving on the hood, and a fancy open structural design in the front of the head.

Last edited:
The design, along with the use of wedge blades, seems to have continued in Europe for much longer than in the USA as evidenced by the CV Heljestrand wedge blade lather catcher which apparently continues up till about WW2. They even made some Inox stainless steel versions as I have several. Not as open bottom as most but enough so the lather catching feature does work. Outstanding shaver even with a Gem blade.

Top Bottom