What's new

Gem 1912 specifications

Hi,
What are the specifations of Gem 1912s? I wonder the weight, length of handle and how much it bends the blade compared to a DE razor. Thanks.

The handles vary in length and there are minor variations in the geometry of the comb.

SE razors don't bend their blades at all.

- Chris

Not at all.

DE blades are very thin and easily bent (arc'ed). Bending them is helpful in giving them stiffness and in making the angle at which you hold the handle less awkward.

SE razors are a totally different animal. The blade is more than twice as thick and thus very stiff in its own right. There's nothing to gain by bending the blade. If you bent it much, it wouldn't spring back. :smile:

Since only one edge of the blade is used for cutting, the razor can be designed to angle the blade to allow the handle to be held at a natural, comfortable position.

- Chris

How so? The blade doesn't bend because it's thicker and stiffer than a DE blade. The razor still helps control the angle at which it meets your face, with assistance from you. Why is that dangerous?

(from my little experience) With a DE the hair that's removed just goes tangent to the blade when you rub razor. If there is no bending I fear it will collect on blade and lead to cuts..

(from my little experience) With a DE the hair that's removed just goes tangent to the blade when you rub razor. If there is no bending I fear it will collect on blade and lead to cuts..

Interesting. I don't know about the theory, but it doesn't seem to work that way in practice. Of course, I rinse off the razor periodically during shaving, but I do that with a DE razor too. Never noticed if more hair had collected on the SE blade, but it didn't lead to me cutting myself.

The biggest danger going from DE to SE is that the blade angle is much different. Once you get that right, you should have no problem.

With the DE, the hair that's removed would be passing to the underside of the blade, effectively on the inner radius of the bend. The 1912 razors have plenty of comb area for the lather and whiskers to exit through, so I don't think there's reason for your fear.

- Chris

Ok I will try SE. Which one do you think is better:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Both are GEM 1912s. (Second one looks better to me.) If you can advice me another one it's even better.(I'm on a low budget) Thanks.

Last edited:
The first appears to have the longer handle and the knurling is probably a little grippier. The second has a prettier handle. :smile:

The first appears to have the longer handle and the knurling is probably a little grippier. The second has a prettier handle. :smile:

You mean the first one would be less slippery? (Sorry for my bad English) If so, it's not a concern as I will coat the handles with plastic :)

One more question is it a good idea to use metal polisher cream on them? (Last one for tonight :) )

Last edited:
You mean the first one would be less slippery? (Sorry for my bad English) If so, it's not a concern as I will coat the handles with plastic :)

One more question is it a good idea to use metal polisher cream on them? (Last one for tonight :) )

Your English is perfect. :thumbup1: It would be less slippery than the other handle for when your hand is wet and has soap on it. I don't know if a plastic coating would improve that.

With gentle use, a metal polish cream could be used, but since the plating is usually nickel or chrome, the polish shouldn't be necessary.

- Chris

Ok I will try SE.

don't use those vintage blades!

i'm sure you know this but just in case, get some brand new modern se blades. i would never use an old messed-up blade like that in your photo although the razor looks great.

then just keep the head of the razor flush or nearly flush to your face as you shave, make sure your prep and lather are perfect and get ready for some of the best shaves of your life.

I actually have both, and the Damaskeene handle is about the same length as the ornate handle.

There are longer ornate handles, but here's the catch, the Damaskeene and Ornate handles are not interchangeable with the heads. The threading is slightly different.

If you opt for the ornate handle, and since you're going to plastisol them anyway, I can send you a usable handle for the price of postage - if even that.

I actually have both, and the Damaskeene handle is about the same length as the ornate handle.

There are longer ornate handles, but here's the catch, the Damaskeene and Ornate handles are not interchangeable with the heads. The threading is slightly different.

If you opt for the ornate handle, and since you're going to plastisol them anyway, I can send you a usable handle for the price of postage - if even that.

Thanks for your kindness. I bought the second one.

In case I need another handle on it I'll ask you :001_smile

Top Bottom