What's new

Frogs: More Than a Great Pair of Legs! :D

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I thought this was a good read and would like to share it with you.
proxy.php

"A Letter from Paris: Frog Legs May Be Out of Favor, but Not Flavor"!

LES ÉCHETS, France — "There was a time when frogs’ legs drowned in butter and garlic were standard fare at just about every bistro in France. Then two things happened.

First, tastes changed. With the advent of nouvelle cuisine in the 1970s, cuisses de grenouilles lost their cachet, as did country pâté, lamb kidneys in Dijon mustard
sauce, duck à l’orange and profiteroles.

Second, frogs became an endangered species worthy of protection by the state. In 1980, France banned the capture, transport and marketing of live French frogs. Most frogs that end up on dinner plates here these days have to be imported, either live from places like Poland, Albania and the former Yugoslavia, or as frozen legs from Indonesia and China.

But search hard enough and you will find a believer in just about everything edible in France. I found my frog lover in Christophe Marguin, 45, a fourth-generation proprietor-chef at the hotel and -restaurant that bear his name 10 miles outside Lyon.

His establishment, painted Chinese red, opened in 1906 as a way station for travelers on the highway between Lyon and Strasbourg. Mr. Marguin’s great-grandfather pumped gasoline from a single pump; his great-grandmother prepared hearty meals with carp, pike, crayfish and frogs fished out of the family pond.

The first member of the family to attempt upscale cuisine was Jacques Marguin, Christophe’s father, who had been first apprentice to the food legend Paul Bocuse. Jacques learned all about frogs from his mother, who gave him the task of killing, skinning and cutting off the heads of the catch every day before school.

Today, the restaurant is a temple to frogs.

Frog oil paintings adorn the walls. Frog figurines — in glass, china, metal, plastic and pottery — perch on display-case shelves. Stone frogs stand guard at the entrance. Green frogs have been painted on the custom-made china plates by Bernardaud. (Bernardaud’s first frogs weren’t very pretty, so Christophe went to the chinamaker’s office on the Rue Royale and watched as they were repainted.)

proxy.php
"Frogs are mythical, delicate creatures. They deserve respect". Christophe Marguin

This is not the place to come if you don’t like butter, cream and lots of drink. When Mr. Marguin poured me a glass of Champagne before noon, and I said it was a bit early for me, his eyes widened as if to say, “Who is this American puritan and what is she doing here?”

He served me frogs four different ways. First came a potato galette stuffed with shredded pieces of frogs’ legs and mushrooms on a sauce of parsley, butter, garlic, almond powder, white wine and cream. Then came scrambled eggs with black caviar, chives, slivers of frog and a touch of cream. That was followed by a crusty tart filled with mousseron mushrooms and olive-shaped pieces of frog meat in a white wine sauce.

For the finale, the classic sautéed frogs’ legs in butter [I like mine with chopped scallions, garlic, sea salt and cracked pepper], Mr. Marguin invited me into the kitchen. He heated butter in a large frying pan until it sizzled and formed bubbles an inch in diameter. “You have to watch the [butter] rise in the pan and turn nut-colored,” he said. “That’s the secret to success.”

proxy.php

Image: A Classic: Frog legs lightly floured before being
sautéed in butter.

Then he threw in tiny frogs whose heads, feet, skin, spine and insides had been excised. As the frogs turned crispy brown, he flipped them over one by one until they were equally done. Then he showered them with raw chopped parsley and garlic and slipped them under the broiler for five seconds.

“They taste best when eaten with your fingers,” he said. Easier said than done. It’s hard to take notes with buttery fingers, and even harder to look elegant when butter is dripping down your chin. I eventually found my rhythm, popping the frog whole in my mouth, sucking out the flesh and tossing out the bones.

Each dish was paired with its own wine, all from 2008: a Beaune Clos des Mouches by Joseph Drouhin, a Meursault Clos de la Barre Domaine des Comtes Lafon, a Domaine Pierre Amiot et Fils, a Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru. Two very old Chartreuses followed coffee and dessert.

Mr. Marguin is a collector, and his collections extend far beyond frogs. He has framed and hung the monogrammed uniforms of many of France’s most famous chefs (which they have signed) on the wall leading to the main dining room. He has about 2,500 menus from meals served at the Élysée Palace by French heads of state going back to Charles de Gaulle. His wine cellar contains not only fine wines and spirits, including a 1967 Chateau d’Yquem, it also hold his collection of dozens of Champagne buckets and Coca-Cola, Perrier and Badoit bottles.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/12/dining/frogs-legs-may-be-out-of-favor-but-not-flavor.html?_r=0

proxy.php
"Every morning one must start from scratch, with nothing on the stoves. That is cuisine". Chef Fernand Point

I remember eating fried frog legs off a buffet as a kid. I'd love to have them again, but I've never seen them offered anywhere.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I remember eating fried frog legs off a buffet as a kid. I'd love to have them again, but I've never seen them offered anywhere.
KJ:
Sorry to hear you there'll not on any menus in your area, but can you get them from your local fishmonger / fish market?
proxy.php

I can get 'em down here, but I have to go to Lake Charles, LA (45min drive), to pick-up mine (plus other good stuff like scallops, shrimp ect...don't have to call [I do anyway] & order the poundage ahead of time), from one of the local fish markets. I found one that happens to carry them on-hand as part of their stock offering to customers. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Frogs are mythical, delicate creatures. They deserve respect". Christophe Marguin

Last edited:
I just had frog legs for the first time the other day, it was an Asian buffet and they were just lightly breaded. Damn they were good better than chicken, I'm going to cook them up myself from time to time now

I love frog legs! Lucky for me a pub just a 5 minute stroll down the block always has them on the menu. I have often considered catching and preparing them myself, but lack the motivation or knowledge of exactly which frogs are tasty.

-Xander

Top Bottom