What's new

Frog Morton OTT

Picked up a tin of this at my local B&M yesterday.

First, my local B&M charges $16 for the small 1.75 ounce tin...double what is charged online!! Does this seem a bit high??

Second, while I enjoyed the smoke for the most part, I get this strange artificial sweetness in my mouth that lasts for hours afterwards...kind of like the taste from artificial sweeteners in diet soda that clings to the roof of my mouth and sides of the tongue. Is this from a particular tobacco in the blend or a casing or something artificial? Or was I imagining it?

I enjoy all the FM series and while you can get it for about $9 online, you have to factor in shipping / waiting as well. I would have likely done the impulse buy if I hadnt tried it and it was on my "want" list. I almost never use the local B&M store because the tobacco taxes here are punitive and online gets me more for less.

I have never encountered an aftertaste with this tobacco, although I have in aromatics. I no longer buy flavored or OTC because propylene glycol, flavorings and other humectants (like sorbitol) that are added to some tobaccos give it a goopy feeling and a cloying aftertaste.

I like this blend, maybe it's the Basma (I think this blend has Basma in it) that is different and sweet to you?

I smoked it last night in a billiard and tried some more in a clay...same result.

Just got home and tried it today in a GBD bulldog...much better today! What the heck?!?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
B&Ms are always more expensive than what is available online. You have to figure in the overhead of the store, plus they are not selling the high volumes that ecommerce sites can. In your particular case Oregon also charges the store owners a tax of 65% on the wholesale price, which gets passed onto the consumer.

B&Ms are always more expensive than what is available online. You have to figure in the overhead of the store, plus they are not selling the high volumes that ecommerce sites can. In your particular case Oregon also charges the store owners a tax of 65% on the wholesale price, which gets passed onto the consumer.

Thanks! That pretty much sums it up.

I smoked it last night in a billiard and tried some more in a clay...same result.

Just got home and tried it today in a GBD bulldog...much better today! What the heck?!?

This is what has me curious, different pipe and no after taste? I'm new to this, so please forgive me, but I thought different pipes could alter flavor slightly, I just wouldn't expect it to fix aftertaste as well. Cool.

There is so much that can affect how the tobacco tastes including but not limited to; previous meal, previous smoke, packing method, amount of drying time or lack thereof, drilling of the pipe, bowl size temperature of when it was smoked, combustion method. The permutations are seemingly endless.

Simmonds, Glad you enjoyed it! While I liked the Frog Morton's, I probably won't buy them again due to what you described. Maybe On the Bayou...

Last edited:
There is so much that can affect how the tobacco tastes including but not limited to; previous meal, previous smoke, packing method, amount of drying time or lack thereof, drilling of the pipe, bowl size temperature of when it was smoked, combustion method. The permutations are seemingly endless.

Simmonds, Glad you enjoyed it! While I liked the Frog Morton's, I probably won't buy them again due to what you described. Maybe On the Bayou...

I really like except for the slight sweet aftertaste...it's not, to me, a legitimate sweetness. A little too artificial. But I am still enjoying it...haven't tried any other Frog blends yet. Captaincaveman PIF'd me a bowl of regular Frog Morton so I'll give that a shot sometime this weekend.

As of now I'm really enjoying Dunhill 965. It's got all the things I do like about the FMOTT without that weird sweetness.

Based on recent readings in another forum, there may be two factors at work. First, Frog Morton on the Town does use basma tobacco as indicated above. This tobacco has a natural sweetness to it. Second, apparently the Latakia used in all Frog Mortons are said to be treated/cured such that there is an induced sweetness. I have tried samples of Frog Morton on the Town and Frog Morton in the Cellar, and I have a tin of Frog Morton "regular". I enjoy the Frog Morton "regular" but not the others. I do get a sense of sweetness to it, but do not get any sense of an artificial flavor. There is a slightly sweet aftertaste to me, but not any stronger an aftertaste than I get from any other tobacco. I actually look forward to the aftertaste; extends the pleasure for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom