What's new

Free-palmolive Shaving Stick

WE HAVE A WINNER

Congrts----------- SABLE DOG SPOT ON WITH $4.60

THANK YOU ALL FOR TAKEN PART

the message i am trying to get across is that it is not that more expensive to ship outside CONUS and i hope that some of you will take that on board the next time you are selling goods.
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN

SABLEDOG can you pm your address:001_smile

WE HAVE A WINNER

the message i am trying to get across is that it is not that more expensive to ship outside CONUS and i hope that some of you will take that on board the next time you are selling goods.
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN

Woah, seriously? That's a light package!

WE HAVE A WINNER

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN

Congrats SABLEDOG!

BTW gents, 4.60 is cheaper than sending anything in the US by Priority Mail!

Congrats SABLEDOG!

BTW gents, 4.60 is cheaper than sending anything in the US by Priority Mail!

Postage rates can be strange. Sending an up to 500gr package from the Netherlands to another country in Europe is cheaper than sending it to another Dutch address.

Anybody want to post the breakdown?

Here was my estimate
SS razor: 2oz
4 x 5 blades: 0.25oz/ea - 1oz total
Packaging material: 2oz
---
5oz estimated total weight

Assuming lowest cost method was desired, so First Class Mail Internation service. Scotland (Great Britain & Northern Ireland) is a group 5 destination. USPS has it's rates here: http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-international-prices.htm. For small package weighing 5oz, price is $4.60.

Now, those of you whom noticed I didn't pick that price might be asking why... Well, besides the fact $4.60 was already guessed when I read this thread, I very carefully read the restrictions on "Large Envelope" service... "At least 6-1/8 inches high X 11-1/2 inches long X .25 inch thick & No more than 12 inches high X 15 inches long X 3/4 inch thick ". Interesting the USPS website mixes fractions and decimals in the same sentence, but I digress.

Could a razor, packaged in a rigid cardboard mailer, wrapped in dense foam meet this guidline? Perhaps... If so, then you could save $0.20 (though you'd probably spend much more on the package materials) and send your stuff for $4.40. You might also (and rightly so) think the envelope option carries more risk of damage to the contents, so I'm not going to argue the point.

[EDIT: SepticTank has measured a 50's SS head, it's 31/32", so too big for the envelope. So much for my theory! :blushing:]

It is worth mentioning though, neither option carries a tracking number or proof of delivery, and might land you in trouble with PayPal if a dispute or chargeback is filed. At a minimum you'd probably want to add a Certificate of Mailing ($1.10), but more likely the Return Receipt option ($2.20) which proves delivery is your best bet.

Just for fun, to send the same parcel via Canada Post - Small Packet International Air would be CAD$7.90 (6 day delivery). You could send surface for CAD$5.75, but delivery would be 4-6 weeks (someone must be rowing across the pond! :w00t:) Both services carry $100 insurance included, which would offset any potential PayPal issues.

IT still cost $4.60 to post:001_smile

Anybody want to post the breakdown?

Here was my estimate
SS razor: 2oz
4 x 5 blades: 0.25oz/ea - 1oz total
Packaging material: 2oz
---
5oz estimated total weight

Assuming lowest cost method was desired, so First Class Mail Internation service. Scotland (Great Britain & Northern Ireland) is a group 5 destination. USPS has it's rates here: http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-international-prices.htm. For small package weighing 5oz, price is $4.60.

Now, those of you whom noticed I didn't pick that price might be asking why... Well, besides the fact $4.60 was already guessed when I read this thread, I very carefully read the restrictions on "Large Envelope" service... "At least 6-1/8 inches high X 11-1/2 inches long X .25 inch thick & No more than 12 inches high X 15 inches long X 3/4 inch thick ". Interesting the USPS website mixes fractions and decimals in the same sentence, but I digress.

Could a razor, packaged in a rigid cardboard mailer, wrapped in dense foam meet this guidline? Perhaps... If so, then you could save $0.20 (though you'd probably spend much more on the package materials) and send your stuff for $4.40. You might also (and rightly so) think the envelope option carries more risk of damage to the contents, so I'm not going to argue the point.

It is worth mentioning though, neither option carries a tracking number or proof of delivery, and might land you in trouble with PayPal if a dispute or chargeback is filed. At a minimum you'd probably want to add a Certificate of Mailing ($1.10), but more likely the Return Receipt option ($2.20) which proves delivery is your best bet.

Just for fun, to send the same parcel via Canada Post - Small Packet International Air would be CAD$7.90 (6 day delivery). You could send surface for CAD$5.75, but delivery would be 4-6 weeks (someone must be rowing across the pond! :w00t:) Both services carry $100 insurance included, which would offset any potential PayPal issues.

..."At least 6-1/8 inches high X 11-1/2 inches long X .25 inch thick & No more than 12 inches high X 15 inches long X 3/4 inch thick "....

Could a razor, packaged in a rigid cardboard mailer, wrapped in dense foam meet this guideline?

Possibly but only a 3-part is going to do that a 2-part or a TTO would be too wide across the head - where a Tech (for example) the head could be packed parallel to the plane of the envelope rather than perpendicular to it...

... You could send surface ... but delivery would be 4-6 weeks (someone must be rowing across the pond! :w00t:)

I think they factor in some time for the containerload of mail for the other side of the Atlantic to be filled (I'm making a rash assumption here that they send 1 container/ship over to all of Europe rather than 1 to each country - CanadaPost may even aggregate with USPS - Probably being too optimistic there :lol:) - the actual "steam" across the pond is of the order of 10 days.

than 12 inches high X 15 inches long X 3/4 inch thick ".

Fairly often I've sent items that are just a little bit over 3/4 inch thick using the "large envelope" rate, and I've yet to have any issues.

I also happen to be the one that sent the package this thread is referring to, and if I remember right, this particular parcel was packaged as such: head of the razor had a piece of cardboard(cut from a priority mail box, about 2"x5" wrapped over the head held in place with a rubber band, razor and blades were placed in a crown royal bag, which was then placed in a 6x9 paper bubble envelope mailer.

I've never been one to use excessive packaging, and this method hasn't let me down so far.

Fairly often I've sent items that are just a little bit over 3/4 inch thick using the "large envelope" rate, and I've yet to have any issues.

I also happen to be the one that sent the package this thread is referring to, and if I remember right, this particular parcel was packaged as such: head of the razor had a piece of cardboard(cut from a priority mail box, about 2"x5" wrapped over the head held in place with a rubber band, razor and blades were placed in a crown royal bag, which was then placed in a 6x9 paper bubble envelope mailer.

I've never been one to use excessive packaging, and this method hasn't let me down so far.

Well done mate! International is OK!

Thanks! I got the Palmolive stick today. It smells good and I'll give it a whirl soon.

I think I want to keep the game going, keep this thread alive as a treat to those reading and following this one.....

What did it cost for this package to get from Glasgow, Scotland to Richmond, VA?

I haven't gotten as far thinking about what the winner gets, but for now let's say: Closest guess in the correct currency (not made by the sender :001_rolle :lol:) before Midnight XMas will get a cream or soap or something nice sent to them.

I found Nivea Shaving Cream at an Indian market today, how would that be? I don't think it's too common at least in the US/

If we stick with lowest cost for ~6 day delivery (so it'd need to be via air), I'm going with GBP £1.64. If it was sent surface, those guys in the rowboat must have been working overtime - Royal Mail website estimated normal surface delivery at 56 days!

Top Bottom