What's new

Frankenrazor that made it into your rotation?

I know people around here like to experiment, at least a little, and that sometimes people mix and match base plates and top caps to make the proverbial "Frankenrazor." I suspect that many of these experiments lead to nothing. But once in a while a mismatched razor takes on magical qualities, moving right up into the rotation, and maybe, perhaps, becoming one of your favorite razors.

Anybody made a Frankenrazor that really worked? If so, I'd like to hear about it/see it. Let me know which plates and caps you mixed, why, and what effect it had. I am particularly interested in those times when the Frankenrazor turned out to be BETTER than either of the original donor razors.

Please share your Frankenrazor stories, and pics if possible. Thanks.

R

romsitsa

A Single ring paired with a thin Swing AB base plate, a modified ball end and turned into a two piece.
A New improved paired with a thick Swing AB cap and base plate, also turned into a two piece. This was done today and I'm still looking for a suitable brass tube as the NI handle is rotted.
Both are favourites, smooth and effective.
Had to replace the cap of a LeCoq caged head as the original was beyond repair, the new one (vintage Hungarian) was most similar to a thin Gillette cap. It became a tad smoother than the original LeCoq setup.
Made a "Goodwill" from a thick Old type baseplate and a New cap. It's somehow better than the originals.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Smooth and Efficient:
20201003_194421~2.jpg

Razor: Frankenrazor (WCS Lithe cap, Schöne plate, rusdrunkbear Handlebar handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5)
Touch-up Razor: Schick Type E
Blade: Schick (7)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger)
Lather: Fat 'As (Frankensoap)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Frankenrazor + Frankensoap = Franken-great shave. :)

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very efficient Frankenrazor:
image.jpg

20200121_150420~2.jpg

Razor: Frankenrazor (Yaqi Mellon 'SLOC-Style' Top Cap, Executive Shaving Braveheart Baseplate, Russian TiBam Handle)
Blade: Silver Star (4)
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Chubby, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Skin Toner
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon w/Menthol
Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus

Three passes plus touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Very nice shave! :)

Early 50’s Tech head on a Rockwell 2C handle.

The original ball end handle is to thin and light for me so I never used this razor. With a heavier handle, it is now an excellent razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom