What's new

Frameback Friday (+Faux and Rattler)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A classic, Thiers-Issard frameback. Soap was Mike’s Bulgarian rose beta, the brush was a Sompsons synth, and the AS Harris Pink.

IMG_0668.jpeg

What do you all love about framebacks?
They are light but the blade is stiff, so you get the best of both worlds (hollow and wedge). Some of them also have really interesting features.

Have some cons as well. Some blades can rust inside the spine and manufacturing was labor intensive and expensive. Rattlers, for example, overcome these negative points.

I wish they would still be manufactured today, although they would be very, very expensive.

Isn't a frameback just a shavette you have to re-sharpen?
Kind of. In the past, the idea was to have multiple blades and send some for sharpening, while still being able to use the razor.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
What do you all love about framebacks? Isn't a frameback just a shavette you have to re-sharpen?

Yes, very light but stiff. Razors made with a swedged frame could get water into the joint, but a little tissue after use holding the edge down will help, and you can put some bicycle chain wax in the joint to repel water. Faux framebacks/rattlers don’t have the problem.

@Steve56 : I am a man of my word. But I'll keep it light for now, I'll start the actual retaliation later ;) (my 1,5 rattlers are not ready, neither is my most recent acquisition)

1000012828-01.jpeg

Par for the course

Razor : CV Heljestrand tube frameback
Brush : WeatherWaxWorshops "Unhinged" prototype
Soap : WeatherWaxWorshops Houhi-gassen

Have a nice day fellas!

Top Bottom