What's new

Fountain pens are the original smart phone

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Its probably not a surprise really to anyone. Of course fountain pens were something of a technological marvel when they were first introduced. But I think I had taken for granted just how innovative they were. Particularly after quick drying ink, like Parker Quink, came around, the fountain pen could take everything from a writer's desk - a quill or dip pen, an inkwell, a blotter - and combine it into this one contraption you can put in your pocket. Back when hand written correspondence was the primary means of communication, that must have quite breathtaking and freeing. I recall that Mark Twain even remarked as such. And then it hit me that that's all smart phones do for the information age. They take all the electronic means of communication that replaced handwriting and used to litter one’s desk - a phone, a computer, a modem, a fax, even a camera - and combine them into one contraption that you can put in your pocket.

Fountain pens are still superior for me. Been using one since high school in the 1980's.

Recently my oldest daughter has been bit by the same bug and now uses one just like her Dad - a 1950's school fountain pen. She loves it.

Chris

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Its probably not a surprise really to anyone. Of course fountain pens were something of a technological marvel when they were first introduced. But I think I had taken for granted just how innovative they were. Particularly after quick drying ink, like Parker Quink, came around, the fountain pen could take everything from a writer's desk - a quill or dip pen, an inkwell, a blotter - and combine it into this one contraption you can put in your pocket. Back when hand written correspondence was the primary means of communication, that must have quite breathtaking and freeing. I recall that Mark Twain even remarked as such. And then it hit me that that's all smart phones do for the information age. They take all the electronic means of communication that replaced handwriting and used to litter one’s desk - a phone, a computer, a modem, a fax, even a camera - and combine them into one contraption that you can put in your pocket.
I inked up a FP yesterday and am using it today ...nice to read this.

Particularly after quick drying ink, like Parker Quink, came around, the fountain pen could take everything from a writer's desk - a quill or dip pen, an inkwell, a blotter - and combine it into this one contraption you can put in your pocket.

That is a really great observation tankerjohn!

Also, taking it further, you no longer needed a scribe with a portable desk to follow you around if you wanted notes during meetings or equipment purchases away from your offices. The other option was you relied on the seller to provide a scribe to take notes for you. Problem was, everyone in the room knew what was being written down (you had to dictate) and any personnel notes you had to memorize until you could get back to your own office.

With a fountain pen and a writing board to act as a backing for your paper, you personally could take private notes. They would also be in your own writing and your own ink color.

Wow, that must have been a game changer. Portable pens with a self-contained ink supply have been around for so long, I never thought about these things.

Have a Great One!!

That is a really great observation tankerjohn!

Also, taking it further, you no longer needed a scribe with a portable desk to follow you around if you wanted notes during meetings or equipment purchases away from your offices....
On the contrary. There was this thing called a pencil...

However I still need a scribe to follow me around and take notes. I stink at taking notes.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In my early primary school years I learnt to write the alphabet using a pencil. From about 9 years old while learning cursive script, all writing was done with a post office nib pen dipped in ink.

It wasn't until high school that we were allowed to any type of pen we liked. It was then that I got my first fountain pen.

I still only use fountain pens for writing. I have three, nothing fancy but they are good ones that I enjoy using. They are each about 30 to 35 years old. I must have a light touch as they all still use their original nibs.

Top Bottom