What's new

Foie Gras

Foie Gras?

• Delicious

• Cruel

Results are only viewable after voting.
The cheese thread got me thinking. Do any of you gents eat Foie Gras, or are there any guys who avoid it because of the way its made?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The stuff is good, but, you got to eat a tiny bit! I always need to have good stuff with moderation! :rolleyes:

G

gone down south

its a super fatty duck or goose liver made through a process of force feeding called gavage

If you avoid the biased propaganda from both sides of the issue, it turns out that most people who've studied the issue with no preconceived agenda conclude that forcefeeding a duck or goose is less cruel and painful than any other factory feeding process. If you can live with the way cows and chickens are treated at most farms, you can more than safely eat foie gras in good conscience.

Never tried it. Rare to be honest. I usually try just about anything I can.

if you see it - try it. (its french, so probably not in japan)

If you avoid the biased propaganda from both sides of the issue, it turns out that most people who've studied the issue with no preconceived agenda conclude that forcefeeding a duck or goose is less cruel and painful than any other factory feeding process. If you can live with the way cows and chickens are treated at most farms, you can more than safely eat foie gras in good conscience.

I agree, I am solidly on the 'delicious' side - just trying to explain what it is.

I don't eat factory cows or chickens, so factory geese are also probably out of the question.

Its both delicious and cruel - I love the stuff and my rationalization is that if geese had larger brains and opposable thumbs, they'd not hesitate to turn our livers into a yummy snack.

I'm fortunate in that I have access to good Quebec foie gras, as well as the French stuff.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It's one of the best tasting foods on Earth. If you want a poll about foie gras, the question shouldn't be delicious vs. cruel, it should be duck vs. goose.

I don't think this poll is meaningful - delicious and cruel are not mutually exclusive or even shades of grey, so my answer is "both", like veal and some authentic sushi dishes. Great foie gras is one of the best things imaginable. Chicago banned it for a time but I don't believe the ban was ever enforced - it just raised the price even more!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Can I vote for both? It is delicious, I just had it for the first time in April at Michael Symon's restaurant in Cleveland. I'm not usually a tree or animal huger but the way the animal is fed really makes me uncomfortable.

I like it...I get to eat it once in a blue moon though due to expense. Did find a shop that will let me buy a small package of Grade A slices though.

I think like all meat products some producers will be crueler than others.
I've only had it once, but it was great.

I was raised as a vegetarian for "moral" reasons, when I started eating meat, I realized that discriminating veal or foie gras just because of it's production methods was preposterous and hypocritical. We kill animals and eat their muscles and organs and they're delicious. There's no difference in how it's done, just don't pretend that your chicken breast or steak didn't come from a living creature, because that's much more barbaric and disrespectful to the animal than force feeding it and eating it's delicious fatty bits.

Delicious. Ambrosia.

It's one of the best tasting foods on Earth. If you want a poll about foie gras, the question shouldn't be delicious vs. cruel, it should be duck vs. goose.

Well, which one? Duck or goose? I think that duck works better in hot preparations while good goose does better in cold. We are, of course, splitting hairs. I'll take either seared, poached, cured, in a terrine, hot, cold, lukewarm

Great stuff - but just by it's self it's almost too much. But I do love baby cows and baby pigs as well :)

Member in good standing of PETA
(people eating tasty animals)

I don't think I've ever been anywhere that it was being served or on the menu so it hasn't been an issue. I've never been with anyone that was eating it. I doubt I would try it. There are lots of other things to eat.

Never tried it, and don't really want to.
I don't like liver and I don't like any type of meat from fowl anyway.

Great stuff - but just by it's self it's almost too much. But I do love baby cows and baby pigs as well :)

Member in good standing of PETA
(people eating tasty animals
)

Reminds me of a Ted Nugent quote:

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."

duck slightly wins it for me, though goose fat is great for cooking generally

I don't think this poll is meaningful - delicious and cruel are not mutually exclusive or even shades of grey, so my answer is "both", like veal and some authentic sushi dishes. Great foie gras is one of the best things imaginable. Chicago banned it for a time but I don't believe the ban was ever enforced - it just raised the price even more!

I agree, thats why you can vote for both on the poll. Its so hard to find retail in australia that im pretty sure its banned here too :frown:

Top Bottom