What's new

Fix my car or get a new one....?

my 2000 Infiniti QX4 with 73k mileage wouldnt start properly..took 3 keyturns last night and 2 keyturns a few days ago...my father in law said its either the starter..alternator...or both..no clicking sound so I knew it wasnt the battery....whatcha think these parts could cost with installation?...there is a local mechanic shop close to me but they charge at least 1 hour of installation..everyone is insured there...and then the part(s) need to be ordered....luckily I can "borrow" my moms car..no issues whatsoever :001_smile...so...if the bill is $250+..just pay for everything? or consider a hybrid?..my car is about 12mpg city..yea aint good..but I always use 91 octaine since day 1 bought new

It still could be the battery, but if it is just a starter or alternator, I would get it fixed, though I personally would do the work myself.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I changed both on my old Volks a few years back. I did it myself and got some refurbished part. Each were around $100 and it took me around 30 mins to change. From one brand to another, the price will be different, of course. The starter was easier to change since it was 3 bolts. The alternator had to be reajusted with the water pump.

Anyways, you got no clicking sounds at all when you turn the key?

Did you consider the spark plugs? Could it be a contact that's rusted so much that you are having issue sending electricity to the starter? Have you checked the tension on the starter/alternator when starting the engine/after it's running. Current tension of the battery?

Yes Luc...no clicking whatsoever....it could always be the sparkplugs *throws that into the question pot*...:001_rolle..im not a mechanic whatsoever..checking the what on the what?.....:001_wub:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yes Luc...no clicking whatsoever....it could always be the sparkplugs *throws that into the question pot*...:001_rolle..im not a mechanic whatsoever..checking the what on the what?.....:001_wub:

I would check how much volts are going to your starter when you turn the key. If you get 0 it's either that your starter doesn't get electricity or is dead. For the alternator, I can't remember if it's supposed to output 14volts when the engine is running or not.

From memory, your battery, when the engine is off, should read around 12 volts.

Eliminate the simple stuff first.

Look at the battery connections? Are they tight? Corrosion free? Look at the connection to the starter. Same thing... tight, corrosion free.

Turn on the headlights. Do they dim a lot when you try to start the car? If they do, it's most likely the battery.

Take the battery to a local chain type auto store where they will check it for free.

The chain store can probably check your alternator too. Again it'll be free. Just go when there isn't a crowd of people.

Oh yeah... one more thing. A $250 repair bill is MUCH cheaper than buying another car.

Actually...my lights shutoff when drivers door opens..lights flashed dim and car wouldn't start..I turn the lights off and key turned really far forward but it turned on...last night headlights were on automatically but 3 key turns to start...battery was replaced brand new about 6 years ago by AAA....I'll update tomorrow with what's goin on...

Last edited:
A six year old battery is a miracle. I do have one 13 years old in a lawn tractor but it stays on a battery maintainer when not in use. Someone mentioned voltage from alternator, it is 0 when engine is not running, should be 13.5 to 14 volts when running. Even if lights come on the battery is probably not putting out enough volts/amps to turn the engine over. A not so quick check would be to put a good battery charger on it overnight and try to start in the morning both without charger and with charger connected and turned on. IF it starts easily, then you can be 99%sure its battery. Alternator could be going bad and not charging battery, but with aq six year old battery that's the first thing to replace, you need one anyway. Any repairs will much less expensive than a new vehicle, or even a couple of car payments.

Even a $500 bill is equivalent to 1 month car payment for a 25k vehicle. THe more accurate question should be is the repair worth more than the cost of my vehicle, or even doable? I think your truck is still viable. A starting problem is usually a relatively inexpensive thing to remedy, new battery and possibly new alternator isn't too tough of a repair.

On any repair of that magnitude fixing it is always the best answer. I'll fix almost anything rather than buy a car - unless I've got my eye on some particular car at which point my theory goes out the window.

I have an '03 diesel truck, and one injector is going out along with a erg valve. Parts and labor is about $2000 and it's getting fixed, a new truck similar is 45-48000. My mileage is too low and it is according to the dealer one of the best maintained vehicles they service.

From the second post about the lights going out and the battery being 6 years old, it wouldn't shock me if the battery was the issue. Being the cheapest and least expensive place to start, I would remove it and take it over to a local auto part store to be tested. A new battery with a good warranty won't be over $150 at the high end, and if they test it and there are no issues then you know to get the multi meter out and test the starter and alternator.

1. you're wasting $$$ on gas unless u have a high combustion engine
2. fix it, only 73K miles, u can put 73K more on a Nissan engine
3. proper maintenance ensures consistent mpg. frequently change your filters and consider a cold air intake , boost mpg
4. unsure whatthe issue is. be sure to check the infiniti car forums

**UPDATE**

No issues were found...no charge for 4 hour diagnostic :)...yea 1st gear feels like the car "jerks" into it..but nothing wad deemed vital to look at and the car started 20+ times in a row...until the problem can be reproduced..nothing to fix....thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.

The way I look at it is that a couple hundred dollars is a lot less than a new car payment for just one month. I drive a 16 year old Subaru with 160,000 miles on it. It runs great, the body is in fair shape, but if I have to spend a couple hundred a year or so, its till way cheaper than a new car. I'll run this one until I can't anymore. As long as it treats me right and gets me from point A to point B, that's all I need.

A 2000 Infiniti QX4 with 73k mileage should be worth repairing unless the bill is many thousands of dollars. But I didn't expect the mileage was less than a F-150, that is painful.

I'd say repair it, should the need arise. If the MPG is too painful to live with, repair it, sell it, and by something that gets good mileage. I bought a Chevy Cruze Eco about a year ago and have been enjoying an average 41mpg. It's a great little car if it fits your needs.

Top Bottom