What's new

Fit Bit

I've had a Fitbit Flex for the last couple of weeks, and find that it is pretty much a very souped up pedometer. It is a good and accurate step tracker, and also has this sleep monitoring function that can tell you how well you've slept, monitoring wake ups, restlessness and their duration. The online account and companion app can sync with other fitness services (mapmyfitness, MyFitnessPal, etc), and presents itself as a whole fitness solution. It doesn't track heart rate and doesn't have a gps, so if you like your polar or garmin watch with either or both of those functions, you'll be sticking with them. It's been helpful to me driving home the fact that I sit on my butt far too much during the day, and that without a run, I can easily do less than 5000 steps per day. I also have a much clearer understanding of the relationship between my food choices and the fact that a good portion of it had been ending up on my person. At $99, it's a pricey reminder that I need to move around more, but the reward system it builds in with badges and such for hitting my targets is a motivator for me.

Been using one since they came out (flex)...so somewhere around a year and a half or more. I love it! It gives you a rough ballpark estimate of calories burned from walking running and can be connected to popular food tracking sites like myfitnesspal in order to give you a ballpark figure for input/output. It's Bluetooth capable so, with the right device you can synch it on the go.

I also bought the Bluetooth enabled Aria scale for daily body weight measurements which also synchs to myfitnesspal.

Overall I think the biggest benefit is when it is synced b/c you become very aware of what you're shoveling in to your gullet everyday.

Top Bottom