What's new

First Tub of CF Lime - To Scoop or Not to Scoop?

I just received my first tub of CF lime "cream" and it seems to be more of a croap than a cream like T&H.

CF recommends lathering off the puck. Does scooping and pressing it into a bowl work or is brush to jar to face the most effective for CF?

I just received my first tub of CF lime "cream" and it seems to be more of a croap than a cream like T&H.

CF recommends lathering off the puck. Does scooping and pressing it into a bowl work or is brush to jar to face the most effective for CF?

Sorry but could you tell me what is "CF" lime cream. The name does not come to me.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would load the brush in the jar with a couple of swirls only, and then face lather. If you have any thoughts of possibly selling the cream in the future then you might consider scooping as that seems to be preferable with used soaps and creams.

I have 3 of CF ,fav is Cedar and sandlewood.
In the past when I have loaded from the tub, it has gradually absorbed water.. using a damp brush that is.
Now I scoop a bit on the end of my finger add a few drops of water and bowl lather for a minute. If you don't have a bowl, you could use the lid,then face lather. The lather us quite superb.

I've hard water and a small amount makes loads of luxurious lather.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I always scooped CF into the scuttle. Worked great and after a short time it's fairly easy to scoop just the right amount for a shave. It also keeps the remaining cream at a constant moisture level.

If I were going to face lather with it I'd probably load the brush from the jar.

For my first lather I swirled a Tulip 2 two times and was amazed at how much lather it produced in the bowl. The lather never really got shiny and I noticed I had no residual slickness. I got a lot of lather from two swirls, but I didn't know how much water it could take. Should I keep going until it gets shiny?

When you scoop, how much product do you scoop @musicman1951 @Roy?

Congrats! CF lime is excellent!
IMHO, it really doesn't matter whether you load from the tub or a separate bowl.
As you're learning, be sparing since it's a lather bomb.
And I had good residual slickness, FWIW.
Be sure the oils are mixed well, sometimes mine would separate.

castle forbes lime simpson emperor bacchus symmetry penhaligon june 12 2015.jpg

Congrats! CF lime is excellent!
IMHO, it really doesn't matter whether you load from the tub or a separate bowl.
As you're learning, be sparing since it's a lather bomb.
And I had good residual slickness, FWIW.
Be sure the oils are mixed well, sometimes mine would separate.

View attachment 1255880

Nice pic! Thanks for the information. I have more popsicle sticks and I will stir it up.

It sounds like I need to work on my lather. Should the CF lather be shiny? I kept adding water, but I didn't want to overdo it. This must be my first lather bomb soap / cream because watching the lather develop from so little cream is like magic.

Nice pic! Thanks for the information. I have more popsicle sticks and I will stir it up.

It sounds like I need to work on my lather. Should the CF lather be shiny? I kept adding water, but I didn't want to overdo it. This must be my first lather bomb soap / cream because watching the lather develop from so little cream is like magic.

really not particularly shiny. just nice. enjoy.

I've found that CF gives me plenty of residual slickness...though I guess I might be overloading it, since I swirl way more than one or two times. Then again, I tend to use a very light touch when I load (probably picked up from using the Marco Method with soaps), so I'm probably loading less per swirl than people are assuming you would.

Oh, and I also only load from the tub on CF...I tried scooping long ago, and it never seemed to work that well. Other people seem to have made it work, but I tend to prefer swirling with hard creams (or anything harder).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For my first lather I swirled a Tulip 2 two times and was amazed at how much lather it produced in the bowl. The lather never really got shiny and I noticed I had no residual slickness. I got a lot of lather from two swirls, but I didn't know how much water it could take. Should I keep going until it gets shiny?

When you scoop, how much product do you scoop @musicman1951 @Roy?

You definitely need to experiment. Your water is a factor. CF is pretty concentrated stuff, but I'd start with a slightly oversized almond blob. Add water slowly until you find the consistency you like. Some shavers like their lather quite thin and emphasize slickness, some like it quite thick and emphasize cushion. See what you like. Visually, many shavers shoot for lather that resembles yogurt.

It's difficult to go too far wrong as long as you start with enough cream. If it's too thick just add a few more drops of water. The worst that can happen is you'll end up with enough lather for 9 passes. So the next day you know to start with a little less cream.

I've found that CF gives me plenty of residual slickness...though I guess I might be overloading it, since I swirl way more than one or two times. Then again, I tend to use a very light touch when I load (probably picked up from using the Marco Method with soaps), so I'm probably loading less per swirl than people are assuming you would.

Oh, and I also only load from the tub on CF...I tried scooping long ago, and it never seemed to work that well. Other people seem to have made it work, but I tend to prefer swirling with hard creams (or anything harder).

You definitely need to experiment. Your water is a factor. CF is pretty concentrated stuff, but I'd start with a slightly oversized almond blob. Add water slowly until you find the consistency you like. Some shavers like their lather quite thin and emphasize slickness, some like it quite thick and emphasize cushion. See what you like. Visually, many shavers shoot for lather that resembles yogurt.

It's difficult to go too far wrong as long as you start with enough cream. If it's too thick just add a few more drops of water. The worst that can happen is you'll end up with enough lather for 9 passes. So the next day you know to start with a little less cream.

I started off with more product and had more residual glide. I may also be a light swirler so I did a few swirls and made sure I was pressing down just a little harder. CF Lime has a great scent to it and I will definitely have fun experimenting. I think I was looking at some videos of a single swirl not really taking into account the size of the brush or being able to see how much of the cream was on the brush.

I know I’ve got CF lather right when I have the feeling of “velvet” on my face . Not sure why but velvet is what comes to my mind with Castle Forbes

great cream! Always loaded from the tub directly. Lime is firm enough to be a croap so I load it longer, Lavender is creamier so less swirls get the job done, but the 1-swirl approach doesn’t work for me, I need to load it properly. A tub of CF lasted me 140 shaves, which makes it a luxury cream (€0.20 per shave), but still below some artisans and other high end soaps/creams

My lime tub is 5+ years old, no problem whatsoever from the added moisture. CF has a plastic lid that removes the air from the inside

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I started off with more product and had more residual glide. I may also be a light swirler so I did a few swirls and made sure I was pressing down just a little harder. CF Lime has a great scent to it and I will definitely have fun experimenting. I think I was looking at some videos of a single swirl not really taking into account the size of the brush or being able to see how much of the cream was on the brush.

Yes, me relating how long I load (swirl) means nothing to anyone else. The hardness of the water matters. The size of the brush matters, along with the stiffness of the brush, the pressure used on the brush, how much water is in the brush, etc.

The only thing that matters is getting enough cream on the brush. If you scoop, I find it speeds things up considerably if you spread out the dollop of cream with your thumb on the bottom of the bowl. But we're talking seconds here, not minutes, so if you don't want cream on your thumb don't bother.

Top Bottom