What's new

First try with Feather and Valet

Finally got around to ordering some feather SE blades after having little success restoring the original blade I got with the Valet autostrop.
I can say 99% very pleased as my Valet is the one which doesn't take modified Gems.
The feather blade fits in easily, missing the various pins in the holder, but..
where the original blade uses these pins to fix its position the feather is still able to slip backwards a little, mainly on one side.
Blade exposure on the Valet looks HUGE!
I tried anyway and the blade stayed in place perfectly. The shave was really a DFS, the feather SE being no where near as scary as the DE ones are reputed to be (never tried).
It was a little odd after using my ER 1912 With Gems regularly as there is relatively no audible feedback? strange.
The Valet is now going to be out on a regular basis:biggrin1:.

Next to try the feather and Gem in my latest Wilkinson Empire Acquisition.

The feather blade fits in easily, missing the various pins in the holder, but..
where the original blade uses these pins to fix its position the feather is still able to slip backwards a little, mainly on one side.

I also had issues with the blade moving a bit when closing the door of the holder. To prevent this, I keep the edge in place using the wrapper of the blade.

I am very pleased with my Valet + Feather, it turned out to be a very nice and mild razor.

Gotta pull mine out and try it again- I thought it to be very agressive when I used it about 6 months ago.

There might be differences between the models, there is just very little information about these razors on shaving fora.

I do not like agressive razors and my only other open comb experience was a Gillette New LC which proved to be too agressive.

For some reason, my Valet is quite mild and even easier above the upper lip than my Tech and Push Button.

This has inspired me to use my Valet today. I still haven't used mine for a full face shave. I got mine while I was wearing a beard and so only used it to shave my neck. It's about time I break it out for real.

This has inspired me to use my Valet today. I still haven't used mine for a full face shave. I got mine while I was wearing a beard and so only used it to shave my neck. It's about time I break it out for real.

Hi Adam,
Are you using a Valet blade (Stropped or new?)
I tried again today after running the feather blade in the valet through the strop a few times thinking it would help lengthen the life but it wrecked it:angry:. Still managed a shave but only WTG. not good for second shave on this blade. Will try another tomorrow without stropping to see how many I can get from the feathers from new.:001_unsur

My son has a Valet with NOS Valet blades. He stropped them and got good shaves with them. He seems to enjoy shaving as the razor was intended.

Top Bottom