What's new

first try at ceramic brushes

so I got my first 2 ceramic brushes completed. I've never made brushes before so any help/ tips on my next ones would be appreciated.
proxy.php

proxy.php

glazes didn't turn out quite right, for tests they will do great

thanks, I used synthetic knots for these but I'm going to use a better badger on the next batch.

Making a handle that matches the lather bowl or scuttle looks really cool.

I think you're on to something.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They look great. I never really thought about ceramic brushes. I do like looking at pottery of any description. Have you got your own kiln and wheel or do you go to a hobby style workshop that has a kiln and wheel?

I have my own wheel and a kiln but I don't use my kiln as its too small to be efficient enough for me. (it's a little small) I have access to firing a different kiln in my area.

so I got my first 2 ceramic brushes completed. I've never made brushes before so any help/ tips on my next ones would be appreciated.
proxy.php

proxy.php

glazes didn't turn out quite right, for tests they will do great
Looks great!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think they look great, especially for a first effort. About the only thing I can suggest is making sure the hole isn't too big for the knot. 1.5-2mm larger than the plug is plenty as long as there isn't a glue bump.

I think they look great, especially for a first effort. About the only thing I can suggest is making sure the hole isn't too big for the knot. 1.5-2mm larger than the plug is plenty as long as there isn't a glue bump.

Do these look like the hole was too big? It's hard to get a perfect size due to shrinkage. I thought I was pretty close

It looks like the one on the left may be a bit large, but I had no idea you had to account for the ceramic shrinking which brings a whole new variable you don’t need to worry about when drilling wood or acrylic. Regardless, they look great and if they perform for you that’s all that matters. The main reason I mentioned it is because that particular type of synth really lacks backbone, which is further compounded by having a larger hole. Don’t sweat it though and keep it fun, like I said they turned out great especially for a first effort. You’ll tweak the process as you make more. I can’t help much because I’ve never worked with clay or ceramic, but if you ever decide to get a lathe...

I would love to get a lathe, but funds are limiting. The main issue is I don't know much about brushes. I've only used 2 different brushes in my life

Yeah, it can be an expensive hobby and a small lathe is only half the cost at best, maybe 1/3. You’re doing something different too, there’s already a few of us here that make wood & resin brushes. Stick to what you know and become B&B’s foremost expert on ceramic brushes! I hope to see more from you.

@t81rd This is a project I was just thinking about doing, I think you had great results on your first attempt!

How deep did you end up making the opening? Any lessons learned or improvements you'd like to make now that you've had them for a little bit?

I've got a one-piece scuttle that I made coming out of the wood kiln this week, I'm excited to see how it turns out. I think some brush handles will be next up!

Is the body below the knot hole solid or hollow? If it's solid, didn't it take forever to dry? If it's hollow, how was the ledge created to stop the knot?

The body below the knot is not hollow to add a little weight to the handle. It doesn't take long to dry and my bisque program is 50 degrees with a one hour hold between each to minimize breakage. As far as making the opening I basically threw a small cup with a thick bottom. Firing I made a ring tray to hold the piece up so everything could be glazed but with wood firing you'll have to wad it somehow. I unfortunately haven't had the pleasure to do a wood firing. If you were at all close I would help you fire with a little kiln space lol. Those pieces the glazes turned out awful (I make my own glazes)

Top Bottom