What's new

First time honing

Need some help setting the bevel. Bought a gold dollar and some shapton pro stones 1k 5k 8k and 12k. I cannot seem to get the edge to pass pop or even slice hairs half way up before move on from 1k to 5k. Any ideas on why?

I haven’t used those stones so not sure if you’re supposed to soak them first or can splash water and go. But I’d first have to ask are they lapped flat?

I haven’t used those stones so not sure if you’re supposed to soak them first or can splash water and go. But I’d first have to ask are they lapped flat?
Yes I have lapped them with a 400 atoma diamond stone. They are splash and go and far as I know.

I have been honing my own razors for around four years now. It was frustrating at first. I watched a lot of video's on Youtube, I really mean a LOT. Have probably bought a good deal more stones than I need and certainly more than I thought I would. It is a very satisfying feeling to shave with a razor that you have honed yourself, especially when it was a little more tricky to get right than at first thought. It is a skill that comes with practice and hopefully, I will always find ways of improving my edges.
Good luck and keep practicing.

Focus solely on the 1K stone right now. If you have a good bevel set on the 1k, you will be able to easily shave your arm with any part of blade (not just the center or toe). You may be able to get it sharper by moving onto higher grits, but if the bevel isn't set along the length of the blade you aren't getting the best results.

Use each stone like a finisher before moving onto the next stone. It helps as you go through your progression.
Are you using a rolling X stroke or just honing with straight back and forth strokes?

Thank you! Any ideas on why the edge of a stone, even after being lapped sever times, is only cutting on the edges despite hold it flat on the stone? Could the handle weight b enough to make cutting on the edge of a stone make more contact than near the toe

Are you saying the surface of the stone is only cutting on the blade near the edges (let closer to the heel and toe of blade)?
Are you slightly torquing the blade so the pressure is focused more on the edge of the blade instead of the spine?

Yes I am saying the stone is only cutting near the heel. I dont not believe I am torquing the blade but I could be without knowing. I have tried not to though since i looked under my loupe and saw scratch pattern was different but no change.

These is a pic of what I have messed up but also working with

Attachments

• 20190830_160650.jpg
    20190830_160650.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 33
That doesn’t look like a gold dollar. Looks like a vintage that was buffed up. Also looks warped. That’d explain what you’re encountering.

I've only been honing for a year but I believe there is a prominent frown and very uneven home wear. The frown may be a result of applying to much pressure and the excessive wear at the toe makes me think that there is a significant warp (or uneven application of that excessive pressure). That one may prove very challenging to get true and then to sharpen. You may want to consider a different "beater" with better lines to practice on.

But, do keep practicing. You will get there.

That doesn’t look like a gold dollar. Looks like a vintage that was buffed up. Also looks warped. That’d explain what you’re encountering.
My apologies for posting the wrong razor but I'm having a similar problem with this one and I think I know why now. I will take this info and check the gold dollar

Need some help setting the bevel. Bought a gold dollar and some shapton pro stones 1k 5k 8k and 12k. I cannot seem to get the edge to pass pop or even slice hairs half way up before move on from 1k to 5k. Any ideas on why?
Hi Robby,

If you're not hitting the whole edge, you need to get that sorted first, but I never worry about popping hairs til I'm done honing and stropped. though you should be able to shave arm hairs before leaving the 1K.

Your Shapton hones are fine, their 1K is a bit more coarse than other brands but is certainly usable. They are splash and go.

I suggest learning some bevel set tests. TNT, TPT, Light reflection, etc. Try them all and see where you get correlation, then pick the one that gives you the best read.

If you post your general location, there may be someone in your area that can give you some one on one. This stuff is WAY easier to learn and teach in person.

My location is kokomo, IN if anyone is near by I would love to learn. I think i have a nice bevel set finally. I did do some geometry correction and now it has a squeegee effect across the whole edge pretty much. I just need to go back up and get a good finish and strop I hope lol. Thank you for all the help everyone. Will update with results prob tomorrow.

I agree with the using of the thumbnail test. Hone on the 1k until the edge grabs the thumbnail all along the edge before moving up. And if that's not enough, the razor being seriously out of whack, try a few licks on the Atoma 400, taping the spine of the razor, until it is.

Yes that was my inexperience. I didnt know you have to do rolling x strokes. I hope its salvageable.
Well, you learned something. Probably worth it in the end. That's the kind of thing that a competent teacher would never let you do in person. As long as your learning on inexpensive razors, mistakes are one of the best ways to learn.

Top Bottom