What's new

First shot at a paddle strop

I have yet to have my first straight shave but while waiting on my starter kit from Gugi. I was doing a lot of research and decided to take a stab at making a paddled balsa strop. It's pretty much the same design as Slartibartfast's SRP's Wiki but I stained mine.

Here is what I started with:
proxy.php

I found a broken porch spindle so I got it for 50% off from Lowe's

After some trimming and sanding both spindles were stained and a hole was drilled in the handle.
proxy.php

A word of advice when you make a pattern on your balsa wood for lapping purposes be careful. I made my pattern with a pencil and it was not showing up well so I pressed harder and actually scored the wood.

proxy.php

Here is what I came up with for the finished product:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ZQeMCpW5NCY/SmnipZwEXDI/AAAAAAAAAB8/FExiQCcfGdQ/s400/1.JPG

Here is a close up of the one on the right:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ZQeMCpW5NCY/Smnr2XEQVJI/AAAAAAAAACg/4surOjNw0P4/s512/IMG_0002 (3).JPG

If anyone is interested in this one send me a message
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZQeMCpW5NCY/Smnr6HWs3FI/AAAAAAAAACs/hqvNI3_28tE/s512/IMG_0005.JPG

As you can tell both strops are without any paste. I have some Crox .5 and 1.0 diamond spray on it's way and will paste the one I am keeping. The other one can come blank or with the .5, 1.0 or both.

Don't know why the last few images didn't show up. But the links work

Last edited:
Here is what I came up with for the finished product:
proxy.php

Here is a close up of the one on the right:

proxy.php

If anyone is interested in this one send me a message
proxy.php

As you can tell both strops are without any paste. I have some Crox .5 and 1.0 diamond spray on it's way and will paste the one I am keeping. The other one can come blank or with the .5, 1.0 or both.

Wow! Very nice. Will you be selling those? If so, send me a pm with price, I might be interested.

Edit: Actually, I read through the process and it seems incredibly easy to DIY. I'm going to look into this. Were the spindles flat? Did you have to do any other prep work other than sanding?

Fine some maple , oak or other hard wood spindles . Run a flat sharp plane over the 4 sides to true the surface .

Balsa is very soft wood . I wouldn't use it .

cityjim

Wow! Very nice. Will you be selling those? If so, send me a pm with price, I might be interested.

Edit: Actually, I read through the process and it seems incredibly easy to DIY. I'm going to look into this. Were the spindles flat? Did you have to do any other prep work other than sanding?

All I did was sand the spindles. Only because I dont have anything to plane with.
The Balsa wood is soft and from the research I have done as long as you are sure to get even contact with the balsa and spindle it should make a fine stropping surface.
As long as the balsa is lapped you should get a relatively solid surface. From the feel of things the softness of the balsa is just soft enough to be a little forgiving while firm enough to provide enough stability to touch up a razors edge. Perfect for a straight newb like me.

Fine some maple , oak or other hard wood spindles . Run a flat sharp plane over the 4 sides to true the surface .

Balsa is very soft wood . I wouldn't use it .

cityjim

The reason to use balsa is because it is soft.:rolleyes:
This is for stropping with pastes, for occasional touch ups, and maintenance, the give in the balsa is important, just like having a soft strop.

Top Bottom