What's new

First SE Safety Razor shave

I finally got the blades for Valet VC4 in from Connaught and was the first time I've ever used a safety razor. The SS feather blades are sharp for sure and I need some more practice on my technique. The shave was quite smooth and enjoyable but I got a little ahead of myself and razor burned my chin but honestly I believe that is was because the Gillette Fusion Hydra gel I was using seemed to dry to my face pretty quickly. I gotta say it was alot nicer than I had built up in my mind. Now I guess I'll need to find some good cream and a brush and work on my technique but I'm hooked for sure.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Welcome to the SE :biggrin1:world.

I too am new to SE, I have a GEM Micromatic, and Damaskeene (and due to RAD looking for others)

Before my first shave I looked at some YouTube clips on SE shaving to get a better idea of the angles. For me this helped in my first shaves. I am also using the SE on my head.

My only issue i sthat the blades do not last as long as my DE blades, before replacement.

Odd, I get not quite twice the number of shaves from a GEM PTFE as any DE blade that I ever used....If you persevere, I believe you will be an SE devotee and not look back.

The Blue Stars are carbon steel and will degrade quickly if not kept dry. I always dry them after each use and this helps them last longer. The GEM stainless do last longer than the carbons.

Top Bottom