What's new

First REAL straight shave

Got my dovo 5/8 straight in the mail today. It came shave ready from lynn abrams from what I understand. Now, it was my first real straight, having only used the kind with double edge blades broken in half before. I didn't cut myself which impressed me :) haha. But I felt as if the blade was dull. I had to apply pressure to get it to shave my beard which is something I did not have to do with the replaceble straights I have been using. I actually did 4 passes and the shave is still not all that smooth. Is this normal? Could the blade need sharpening? I was told it was shave-ready. I bought it from straight razor designs.

I'm sure SRD honed the razor properly. How good are you at stropping? Poor stropping can dull a razor very quickly. Also, how many passes did you make on the strop? Twenty passes is a good number.

I'm sure SRD honed the razor properly. How good are you at stropping? Poor stropping can dull a razor very quickly. Also, how many passes did you make on the strop? Twenty passes is a good number.

ahhh.. silly me. I did not strop it as I don't yet have a strop. I assumed that shave-ready meant it did not need stroping for the first shave. I guess I will wait until I buy a strop to shave with it again.

Actually, the Lynn honed razor should be able to be used initially without stropping and that's the best way to do it for rookies. I would guess that if the razor isn't working out for you you need to change your technique from the disposable. I realize disposables look like straights but they are very different. You are really shaving with a razor blade and a true straight is different. Try adjusting your angle to about 30 degrees or less and see what happens and don't use pressure. If your still having trouble contact the seller. I'm sure they will redo the honing for you.

Definitely could be your blade angle, and/or stropping technique. I would also contact Lynn or SRD and let them know about your issue. I'm sure they could probably offer you some good advice, or may even offer to re-hone. Good luck.

Actually, the Lynn honed razor should be able to be used initially without stropping and that's the best way to do it for rookies. I would guess that if the razor isn't working out for you you need to change your technique from the disposable. I realize disposables look like straights but they are very different. You are really shaving with a razor blade and a true straight is different. Try adjusting your angle to about 30 degrees or less and see what happens and don't use pressure. If your still having trouble contact the seller. I'm sure they will redo the honing for you.

Oh, that's good to know.

Top Bottom