What's new

First pulled pork in progress

Well this started yesterday with 2 Boston butts from the local meat market.

proxy.php

I rinsed them and salted them with some Kosher salt and wrapped them for the night.

proxy.php

This morning I got up, made my coffee and pulled them out of the fridge for a morning dusting of rub. I also fired up the traeger while putting on the rub so it would be nice and warmed up.

proxy.php

I placed them into the grill around 715 this morning.

proxy.php

Here they are 3 hours into the cook.

proxy.php

And here they are now about 4 hours in. Temperature of the butts are around 170 internal. So I expect to sit around this temp as it slowly ascends to around 200. Have the grill between 200 and 250. Lots of good smoke coming out.

proxy.php

More pics forthcoming as the day progresses!

These will be pulled pork that I am bringing into work tomorrow morning.

nom nom nom......

Looking good.

Don't know how studied up you are on cooking these but don't bother much with temperatures.

When the bone pulls out easily, they are done.

I am probably gonna save a little bit for myself, but I am bringing it into work tomorrow. Have 40 buns and some sauce for on the side. Not gonna drench the pork in the sauce!

Here is another shot after about 5 hours. Temperature hasn't really moved in the last hour. Stall is here. But the bark is starting to darken!

proxy.php

And providing this one turns out delicious I will have to do another smoke soon when the wife is home to enjoy with the family

Well this just happened.

proxy.php

Hopefully the pork isn't ruined. Grease fire in the traeger. Pulled the meat onto a tray and it is in the oven at 225. Used some baking soda to put it out and gonna clean it up and see if there was any damage and try to put the meat back in. Lost most of the fat cap that was on the bottom to the grill.

I use a large big green egg for my smoking. The offer an accessory called a convEGGtor, apparently a new name for what they used to call a plate setter. It goes between the charcoal and the actual grill. To help keep things moist, I put a large disposable roasting pan on top of the plate setter and fill it about half way with water to keep things moist, and absolutely no chance of a grease flare up.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
AH!
I was watching some BBQ competition show on Netflix, and one of the teams had borrowed one of these for the comp and caught it on fire.
proxy.php

Yea this was a surprise. I noticed my temperature dropping so went out to check on it and then when I opened it up, it spread to the tray inside. I lost a little eyebrow and bangs pulling the meat off. I think I saved it.

Right now the grill is cleaned off and restarted. Gonna run it on high a few minutes before putting the meat back on.

Well the meat is back on and the grease tray is completely clean. Hopefully I can finish this uneventfully and the meat turns out good.

proxy.php

That is what I hope also. I think I got them out quick enough that the flames didn't ruin anything. Plus it was just grease so shouldn't have been any toxic flavors

I think you saved em!! Well done....glad that you were able to get things in control and that it wasn't any more serious.

Top Bottom