What's new

First Post

Hello all,
I've been using a safety razor and wet shaving for about a year and a half now. Really enjoying it! Also been reading posts on here for about 7-8 months. I have read a lot of helpful stuff so thank you to all who post their opinions.

A couple of things I'd like to bring up/ask.

One, I completely understand YMMV. But I'm still on the hunt for a go to/favorite shave cream or soap. Though I'm more experienced using creams at this point. I'm willing try the most expensive to the least. So if there is anyone out there who has "tried the all" and can point me in the direction of a top of the line best cream, please do. I've enjoyed quite a few samples thus far myself. I currently am working my way through a tube of Proaso green but I think I made need to shelve that for the winter as I find it dries out my skin. I enjoyed using AOS at first until I found the multitude of options online. More recently I've sample GFT and liked it (tried Spanish Leather and the Limes). Chiseled Face (tried multiple scents) was pretty good as well but I think it may have left my face dry too. Anyway, I have some samples I'm still working through but I need to buy a full size cream/soap soon for the winter months. Been looking at B&M Leviathan recently and something is drawing me to that but I've never smelled the scent nor have I tried a B&M. Sorry I know I'm all over the place here so that's all I say about that for now.

Two, I have an idea that perhaps is already out there and I just haven't found it. In my search for shaving supplies I noticed that I mainly have to order off the internet. Now I know there are brick and mortar retailers out there but finding them can be rather tricking outside of knowing the main ones and name brands. For example, Art of Shaving is easy to find but they are in major cities and offer only the AOS line. I originally went there because I was close to Kansas City and it was convenient enough for me but I have since moved away and also have expanded my tastes beyond AOS. Is there a way to make a Wiki/Forum for everyone to post the physical retailers they shop and go to outside of online shopping? For example on the Plaza in Kansas City there is The Art of Shaving store and Diebolds Sportsman Gallery. I am now in South East Alabama and I can find nothing. Pretty sure there is nothing. But I make the occasional trip back home or to the beach around Panama City Beach and Destin. So if there were a complete list posted by B&B users then I could perhaps stop at something along the way and a check a place out.

Sorry, that was long winded. Hopefully not too long for my first post :001_smile
Happy shaving to all.

Welcome!

I was wondering what they carry in the PX these days. I bet it isn't a wide variety of luxury shaving products, but there might be something.

Welcome to the club, Jacob. Glad to have you aboard. Some of the soaps that I like best are Tiki Bar Soaps, Stirling Soaps, and Shave Commander. All are world-class artisans.

Hello and welcome, JAcob. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Enjoy your soap/cream journey.

I think that you will find brick and mortar locations for shaving stuff few and far between (if at all) in LA.

Welcome Jacob,
For "expensive" cream try Xpec - great performing product. I got a sample somewhere, somewhere. I didn't like the scent so much as to justify the price, although they do have an unscented. Your Mileage may vary (YMMV) as we say around here.
The B&M Leviathan is a chocolate scent (to me). B&M are good performing soaps. Have you tried Martin De Candre yet?
On the less costly side, the Italian Barber line is solid and a great value for the price. Catie's Bubbles is another good soap.
Enjoy!

Welcome to B&B.

I like TOBS and Proraso for creams, and Stirling Soap for hard soaps. I've tried several samples of others, but I keep coming back to these. Good luck with your future shaves.

I was wondering what they carry in the PX these days. I bet it isn't a wide variety of luxury shaving products, but there might be something.

Last couple times I've been to the PX/AAFES (Ft Sill, JRB-Ft Worth) there wasn't any DE gear to speak of. If I recall, there were some non-branded DE blades and a host of carts, but that's it. As far as soaps/creams, they carry everything you want...as long as you want Edge gel or Barbasol. Maybe some larger installations like Hood or Bragg have better options, but I doubt it.

Last couple times I've been to the PX/AAFES (Ft Sill, JRB-Ft Worth) there wasn't any DE gear to speak of. If I recall, there were some non-branded DE blades and a host of carts, but that's it. As far as soaps/creams, they carry everything you want...as long as you want Edge gel or Barbasol. Maybe some larger installations like Hood or Bragg have better options, but I doubt it.

Thanks for getting back.

Welcome to B&B. I can't be much assistance with Brick and Mortar ships, but... I am a fan of TOBS, particularly the Peppermint. I have two AoS creams, the Ocean Kelp and the Lavender. Both are excellent creams, but for about 40% less, the TOBS creams are very close in performance, lather as easily and are as moisturizing as the AoS.

Hi and Welcome Jacob! I started with creams, but most burned my skin. Things didnt click for me till I moved to soaps, Tabac and La Toja being the two that work best for me. Good luck!

Top Bottom