What's new

First DE shave.

I have shaved with a straight razor a couple of times, but they were not anywhere near as sharp as they should have been, so I while I was able to produce an acceptably close shave it usually came at the expense of a bit of razor burn. I have a supervisor at work that I have spent a lot of time discussing straight and DE shaving with. He has a Merkur #180 and has really enjoyed using it. So I figured until I can get my straight razors honed properly a DE would be the next logical step up from the Mach 3 and Fusion I have been using.

I ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89L from bestgroomingtools.com due to all of the positive reviews it has been given here and on another forum I frequent. The razor came with 15 assorted Lords razor blades, and i ordered a 10 pack of Merkur blades to supplement the Lords. I recieved my order on Monday and couldn't wait to shave with my new razor. I prepared the same as I have for my straight shaves. After showering I splashed some hot water on my face, and then did the best I could for lather with some Van Der Hagen soap, a boar brush and a little C.O. Bigelow shave cream to moisten things up a bit.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the way this razor handled. I was able to get a much closer shave in most places than I have been able to get with my Mach 3 or my Fusion. I did find a couple of places that I'm sure I could have gotten closer had I given it one more pass, or payed more attention while performing the passes I did. I did one WTG pass followed by a ATG pass on my face and neck. I went straight to 2 ATG passes on my head, as that has always worked best with my other razors.

When I was done I was very impressed with the closeness of the shave, and was very glad to feel no signs of razor burn while rinsing off with hot water. I know that things will only get better as I learn the technique better, and get some experience.

I would like to thank all of those who regularly share information on this forum, as it was instrumental in helping me make a wise purchase, so that I can enjoy wet shaving well into the future.

Hal

Congratulations on what sounds like a fine "first" shave!

Welcome to B&B - I've found this to be a great bunch of guys!

Well done on your first DE shave. One suggestion would be to rinse with COLD water. It seems the common thinking is that warm water softens the beard and is a good pre shave prep. Cold water after the shave closes the pores and tightens the skin a bit making for a smooth feel. At any rate there are a lot of new things for you to try.

Welcome to B&B.
Mark

Good decision on the razor. I second Mark's suggestion. Definitely rinse with cold water.

If you think it shaves nice now, wait until you try some really good blades in it.

I do a final rinse with cold water, I just rinse all of the soap off with warm water before I do. That way I don't trap any soap or anything else in the pores when they slap closed from the cold water.

Thanks for the advice though.

Top Bottom