What's new

first "benchmark" straight razor shave

Big day (evening). I had my first straight razor shave today that is of the same quality that I can get with my favorite DE (Muhle 41R/Shark). I can get a BBS in about 7-8 minutes with the Muhle and it took me 30 min+ with my straight - Boker Edelweiss. The expectation of how long it would take for each shave was probably my number 1 obstacle (impatience). Also, this was the third shave on my new razor and the difference in sharpness was day/night. I sent ole reliable (Dovo Tortise) out for resharpening yesterday. I started wet shaving about a year ago with the idea of straight razor shaving right away and put the straight away after about 4-5 miserable shaves - though the DE was great. Too many balls in the air with learning prep, making lather, figuring out my whisker pattern, etc., so the straight sat. In early October I checked into B&B and seeing others who started about the same time as me taking up the straight was all the encouragement I needed to start again.

The adjustments:

1. The paddle strop is much better for me than the hanging strop. I know my stropping was more of a problem to the razor sharpness than the dulling from shaving.

2. I no longer try to use the shaving pattern I used with my DE. I can easily go ATG with the DE, and I fought razor burn for months. Gradual reduction takes time and taking the time brought me the results more than any other change. Amazing, to me, is that I have never had razor burn problems from my straights. Maybe the fear helps with the light touch.

3. Stretching the skin only takes a finger to move skin around. I was pulling skin taught at first and not only does it leave weird red streaks on my face but I have too many hands in the way to see clearly. One finger is all I need to present the whiskers better.

4. I do 2 full passes in around 10-12 minutes and then take my time detailing the troublesome spots. Shaving small patches taught me to slow down, get the skin exactly how I needed to get it, make sure everything was lubricated/wet, figure out the best way to hold the razor and the best direction to make the stroke. This takes time to figure out everything, and, in the chin area, I'm still trying to figure out the best pattern.....but I'm close.

5. I can see how another mirror could help, and learning to use my left hand, and I need to learn to how to sharpen and hone (stones are here). I have a new 6/8 on its way from Europe, and look forward to adding to the collection....

6. I guess it's time to become a contributor. It is amazing how much can be learned about every aspect of shaving on this site.

Rock on

Great job, sounds like you are hooked. I will also agree with Robert in that it is a great time for you to learn to use that left hand. It really does offer access to angles not available with only one hand.

Ian

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I know I'm a bit late but good work!!

Top Bottom