What's new

Fireside Chat: Tonights Topic: Brut

Pull up a chair, the fire is stoked, pour yourself a drink. Lets discuss Brut.

Today I was sniffing some Brut A/B. The scent kinda grew on me. In the past, Brut's scent was the one drug store cheapie that I could not seem to tolerate. It just seemed to be over-bearing. However, I gotta say, the Balm started strong out of the gate but it seemed to calm down into a quite enjoyable scent. It contains Shea butter and from what I sampled and dried down nicely on the skin.

I may have to re-think Brut.

So what do you like or hate about Brut?

I like it- nice Fougere sort of a scent to it, if a little synthetic. I use the splash, it works great, good moisturising properties and it's not too strong. Problem with it is that although it is distinctive, a lot of men use it, so it's very recongnisable- you won't smell unique if you are wearing Brut. But maybe that's not what you want.

How similar is Brut to Pinaud Clubman? I haven't had any Brut since my high school days, but the scent of Clubman certainly reminds me of Brut.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This is the balm?

I think I can only get the splash... I'm wondering if the recipe is the same down under...

My other half loves it! Lucky me!

This was the 1st cologne I ever had. I think I was 5 or 6. I like it, but can see why most think it's just a drug store cheapie.

I can't tell a difference between the two

I see similarities between them, but they are very much distinct too. The Brut has a much more herbal scent, with a good dose of lavender and a very musky base. Pinaud Clubman has a base much heavier on the moss and a harsher edge to it when freshly applied that I find remiscent of turpentine. Not in a bad way either.

You've got me interested now. I just dabbed a bit of each on my wrists for comparison. There's perhaps a touch of cedarwood or something like it in the Clubman, maybe that's what gives it the turps scent. A hint spicy as well. Brut is more subdued, lighter, quieter. More of a fern scent there- certainly a Fougere. Maybe Clubman leans a bit more towards being a Chypre?

Also just in terms of power Clubman is way stronger. It stays with you all day. Brut isn't exactly short lived, but it stays much closer to our skin.

Anybody else care to do this comparison and see what you think?

--------------------------------EDIT-----------------------------------

Testament to the power of fragrance- now I've been smelling these I can't stop thinking about bike racing. I used them all last summer before a race, as they are nice and clean and made me feel freshened up for a few hours on the road. Seems to go well with the smell of the embrocations we all use on our legs too! Especially the Clubman as it stays around so well- I'd even smell it a little when showering after a race. Through the Autumn and Winter though I tend more towards leathery, spicy scents like Tabac and Spanish Leather. Racing season for me doesn't start for a few weeks yet...

Last edited:
I see similarities between them, but they are very much distinct too. The Brut has a much more herbal scent, with a good dose of lavender and a very musky base. Pinaud Clubman has a base much heavier on the moss and a harsher edge to it when freshly applied that I find remiscent of turpentine. Not in a bad way either.

You've got me interested now. I just dabbed a bit of each on my wrists for comparison. There's perhaps a touch of cedarwood or something like it in the Clubman, maybe that's what gives it the turps scent. A hint spicy as well. Brut is more subdued, lighter, quieter. More of a fern scent there- certainly a Fougere. Maybe Clubman leans a bit more towards being a Chypre?

Also just in terms of power Clubman is way stronger. It stays with you all day. Brut isn't exactly short lived, but it stays much closer to our skin.

Anybody else care to do this comparison and see what you think?

--------------------------------EDIT-----------------------------------

Testament to the power of fragrance- now I've been smelling these I can't stop thinking about bike racing. I used them all last summer before a race, as they are nice and clean and made me feel freshened up for a few hours on the road. Seems to go well with the smell of the embrocations we all use on our legs too! Especially the Clubman as it stays around so well- I'd even smell it a little when showering after a race. Through the Autumn and Winter though I tend more towards leathery, spicy scents like Tabac and Spanish Leather. Racing season for me doesn't start for a few weeks yet...

Thanks for the comparison, I was trying to put my finger on this scent?
I think I am going to pull the trigger on some.

When I was in high school, I used to cover my body in large amounts of Brut. Hence the smell of Brut is reminiscent of my high school days.

I honestly thought it was a smell I could never tolerate again, and never want to wear again, but I bought a bottle of the Vi-John Brut clone a few months back, and just this week decided I would man up, and use it.

I simply love the smell!!

Brut will probably have a permanent spot in my den; so far I like all of the classic aftershaves: Brut, Aqua Velva, Old Spice, and Skin Bracer.

The "Alaska" is nice...

Probably use that 3rd most or so in the AS rotation, behind Alt Inns and one of the Floids.

When I was in high school, I used to cover my body in large amounts of Brut. Hence the smell of Brut is reminiscent of my high school days.

I honestly thought it was a smell I could never tolerate again, and never want to wear again, but I bought a bottle of the Vi-John Brut clone a few months back, and just this week decided I would man up, and use it.

I simply love the smell!!

Brut will probably have a permanent spot in my den; so far I like all of the classic aftershaves: Brut, Aqua Velva, Old Spice, and Skin Bracer.

Since last November I have gone out & purchased all of these, I am about to complete the cycle with Brut, one that I never thought I would like.

B&B has shown me the way by affirming its ok to embrace these drug store classics that I once frowned upon.
In seeing past & shaking off their stigma as cheap & sleazy, and recognizing their true intrinsic value in these classics and the real benefits in using them everyday, I now wear them all proudly.

I like Brut...but sadly, the wife most emphatically does not.

Therefore, I use it when it won't matter. :001_tt2:

I think Brut, much like Old Spice and even Aqua Velva, has suffered badly from the memory of over enthusiastic application by either our juvenile selves or, perhaps worse, by adults of the type who were too loud at parties and thought that polyester in bold colors was the zenith of high fashion.

All it takes is one joker who subscribes to the Chuck Bronson school of Mandom application to forever skew your scent memory. :001_07:

I tried Brut Revolution aftershave today. Entirely different scent than regular Brut, but quite pleasant. I don't think I like it as much as regular Brut. But for the $1 I got it for at my local Dollar Tree, I can't really go wrong. :thumbup1:

I tried Brut Revolution aftershave today. Entirely different scent than regular Brut, but quite pleasant. I don't think I like it as much as regular Brut. But for the $1 I got it for at my local Dollar Tree, I can't really go wrong. :thumbup1:

They sell Brut at the Dollar Tree?! Holy cow, just point me to the one that does!

I have to come enjoy Brut. Like many, I at first thought it was a little outdated and overwhelming, but then I just went and bought some, tried it, and liked it. I like it so much, I went ahead and got a stick of the antiperspirant/deodorant and wear them together--the Brut carries the scent in the morning, and once it dies down in the early afternoon, my deodorant kicks in to last the rest of the day.

I did the same thing with Old Spice, which I told myself was "too old, too classic, too dull" to be worth wearing. What a fool I was.:blush:

I like Brut...but sadly, the wife most emphatically does not.

Therefore, I use it when it won't matter. :001_tt2:

I think Brut, much like Old Spice and even Aqua Velva, has suffered badly from the memory of over enthusiastic application by either our juvenile selves or, perhaps worse, by adults of the type who were too loud at parties and thought that polyester in bold colors was the zenith of high fashion.

All it takes is one joker who subscribes to the Chuck Bronson school of Mandom application to forever skew your scent memory. :001_07:

Apparently, Elvis Presley's favorite aftershaves were Brut & Aqua Velva :thumbup1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm not a fan of the scent of Brut's a/s, but performancewise it doesn't get enough press. It's really one of the best of the very inexpensive a/s balms.

I'm not a fan of the scent of Brut's a/s, but performancewise it doesn't get enough press. It's really one of the best of the very inexpensive a/s balms.

+1 it performs great but all I can think about is Grandpa and that isn't exactly the image I'm going for.

I broke down last night and applied the Brut AS and Cologne.

Long, quiet, undisturbed peaceful slumber. She even let me sleep in.

This stuff has some utility.

Top Bottom