What's new

Fire hose strop caution.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Used firehoses are loaded with cinders and dirt from being used... In fires. They're washed, but eventually are rotated out of service due to the breakdown of the linen. You can't wash all that stuff out. I'm amazed that anyone would use a used piece of hose for a strop.

Used firehoses are loaded with cinders and dirt from being used... In fires. They're washed, but eventually are rotated out of service due to the breakdown of the linen. You can't wash all that stuff out. I'm amazed that anyone would use a used piece of hose for a strop.
Not used, at least not the source of the one I have. I believe it was salvaged from an old building and thoroughly cleaned.

Why strop a precious straight on a firehose that was used who knows where, and been dragged through who knows what, when there are so many other choices available? Various linen varieties and even nylon or polypro.. which both work quite well..

I guess I just don't get the appeal... but, that's just me...

Legion

Staff member
I wouldn't want the ones that are carried around on the fire trucks and used all the time. But I think most of the ones that get salvaged and turned into strops are the emergency ones that lived their life wound up in some buildings stairwell. Probably clean enough after a couple of rides in the washing machine.

We'll never get rid of the PFAS, it's everywhere and it's a forever chemical, oh joy. It's present in the air we breathe.
It's in all your waterproof jackets, and anti-stick cooking pans, I mean, our health is a joke to our government and the companies.
Modern human beings, one of the most (self-)destructive species, evurrr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom