What's new

Fire hose strop caution.

It's out there for sale cheap. So it only makes sense that some of this hose used in strops could be contaminated. Which ones? No idea. My take was always to stay away from it. There are flax makers out there where there is no chance of this happening. I would never use firehose. But that's me.
Get an Illinois. They don't use fire hose. Here is a quote, "
a. Like the product as a whole, our linen is handmade to ensure quality and durability. The linen component is produced with makers who weave fire hose."

I have several vintage waxed and my go to is a flax from Scrupleworks. I would think the larger companies would source new material. But there's a load of them around made by guys who may very well be using the used firehose. There's no way to know for sure is what I'm saying.

So do you mean that the fire hoses are contaminated with asbestos? As in they come in contact with particles from the fire?
I have read the article but cant find anywhere saying that they make hoses with asbestos. Only that the firefighters clothing WAS made with asbestos in it.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
So do you mean that the fire hoses are contaminated with asbestos? As in they come in contact with particles from the fire?
I have read the article but cant find anywhere saying that they make hoses with asbestos. Only that the firefighters clothing WAS made with asbestos in it.

Max, the article links to another mentioning hoses but it takes some digging to find it. The original retardant article however says nothing about hoses, only clothing and building materials.

Screenshot_20190203-133203.png

Here is the mention of firefighters and "the water hoses". Is it contaminated while in use? Or is it contaminated when they're made? I don't know. I'm not trying to be an expert here. Only passing along what I've always thought about these strops. Get a flax linen strop. Why does it have to be used or old firehose? And how would anyone even know if a hose was used? They been staring at it for 50,60 or 70 years? It's a totally unnecessary risk IMO. Having said that it's all on you. I don't have one as I said several times. It would suck to find out the one you have is contaminated with asbestos or fire retardant.

Last edited:
The article seems to be about fire retardant used in flamable products. "children's toys and childcare articles, mattresses and mattress pads, upholstered household furniture and plastic casings for electronics" not fire hoses. Where did that leap come from? Perhaps "polyurethane foam products", that's not fire stopping foam, thats stuff used in furniture that releases huge billowing clouds of black smoke when burned. Yeah, using fire retardant stuff in it doesn't work.

I wouldn't recommend using fire hoses smelling of smoke. :)

What's in the fire is in the hose. And there is mention of asbestos being in the hose. directly or indirectly. But I don't care because I don't have one nor would I. It doesn't matter to me. Go ahead! Lol.

I think the OP has a good intent. My Illinois strop does not have used fire hose. Some high end strops do. I agree some reservation may need to be exercised. I mean, it is not like other fabrics are not available.

The mesothelioma article does mention it, buried deeply. So pre-1989 hose might have it in it, but would be hard to track down last hose with asbestos in it, easier to see if a particular make/model of hose had it in it.

I don't currently smoke, but my at one point 3 pack a day, 20 year habit is of more impact than occasionally being around a few loose fibers of asbestos, or other fibers that daily they are finding out cause irritation to the lungs. If it causes you to cough, it probably can cause cancer if exposed to it long enough. Random dust included.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Later hose could have asbestos if it was airborne during the fire and settled. Unused would be safe but I agree that used could possibly have some. Not sure if the extensive washing many do would get the loose fibers out of the hose. I do wonder about those living in older homes stirring stuff up in daily living or with do it yourself projects.

You are probably better off not trying to use firehose that was actually USED on a fire truck. It would have been dragged through the mud, muck, and who knows what. You do not want any of that stuff on your razor. Linen fire hose was also used in commercial building and hotels, coiled up in cabinets and rarely, if ever, used to fight a fire. However, the hose still had to be replaced periodically, even if was never used. That type of hose is likely to make a great strop.

I guess a little asbestos is ok? As long as it doesn't ruin the edge? Hahahah. You guys are great! Lol.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
We also shouldn’t shave with any razors made in the 20th century as they could have been used by someone that had smallpox. :a30:

We also shouldn’t shave with any razors made in the 20th century as they could have been used by someone that had smallpox. :a30:
Well. No telling the lead and other heavy metal content. Though lead in the dirt outside from the years of leaded gasoline would be of bigger concern to me, if I had children at least.

I guess a little asbestos is ok? As long as it doesn't ruin the edge? Hahahah. You guys are great! Lol.
Oh no take this very seriously not only for me but as i have kids.
A while ago i was searching what grit rate the puma green paste has, found nothing, so i emailed the Company. They didnt know so they sent me a list of what it contains. Searching for each item to figure out the grit rate, when i came across alot of articles with the title "shaver's disease"... So i was like what the... next i searched as a madman as to why its called shavers disease, when i finally found out that one of the people researching this name was shaver... :001_rolle

Top Bottom