What's new

Finally bought an Ark

There must be a procedure. I'd ask this of the folks at Dan's or Smiths. There is a real risk of unexpected fracturing. Why would you want to do it?

Dan's uses a diamond blade on a stone saw with oil for a hard/trans and water for lesser density stones.
Be VERY careful as the harder stone will chip easily. That's how Dan's gets the flint for muskets/fire starters (fire treated to make them more brittle).

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I'm just getting back from a trip and this was waiting for me in the mailbox. It's a nice little 5" trans. I'm putting it away for now until I have the time to lap and burnish it. It's a mostly clean little stone with one small fissure on the bottom corner.

Attachments

• $IMG_7718.jpg
    $IMG_7718.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 99
  • $IMG_7719.jpg
    $IMG_7719.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 101

David

I'd love to find a NOS trans. I've seen pics and they look almost pure white.

David

I've had this a few weeks but just getting around to posting it. It's a giant 10x3x1 Trans ark. This should be great for big knives.

Attachments

• $IMG_8492.jpg
    $IMG_8492.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 72
That's a beast. Is it an inch thick? Vintage? I'd only ever seen vintages that size in tristone sets (<0.5" thick)... never benchstones.

David

That's a beast. Is it an inch thick? Vintage? I'd only ever seen vintages that size in tristone sets (<0.5" thick)... never benchstones.
According to the seller it's an ancient stone that belonged to a jeweler. You can see traces of gold in places so I'm guessing it was used some as a metal testing stone. It also came with a sweet but small black ark gold testing stone.

EDIT: Yes its 1" thick

Last edited:
I hear that! My translucent black is a 3" x 10" x 1" - heavy S.O.B. If you calculate the volume, they're almost twice the weight of a 2" x 8" of equal thickness.

Any pix you can link to here? I'd love to see a picture of a recently harvested trans Ark with some butterscotch in it.
They were in the discount stones section maybe 2 years ago. I saw them, pondered buying one, decided against purchasing, was going to grab pictures to post on B&B but they sold and pictures were gone. I haven't watched Dan's specials much since, but that's where there are lots of real pictures of stones (warning: you will want to purchase many of them).

They were in the discount stones section maybe 2 years ago. I saw them, pondered buying one, decided against purchasing, was going to grab pictures to post on B&B but they sold and pictures were gone. I haven't watched Dan's specials much since, but that's where there are lots of real pictures of stones (warning: you will want to purchase many of them).

Thanks. I do watch Dan's specials, just wish I'd seen something butterscotch as I have a pet theory that this might be due to oil/swarf staining or wooden box gassing.

Certainly that's possible. But it's just as likely I'd think that there is some butterscotch colored novaculite rock out there. I bet Dan could tell you pretty quick.

Top Bottom