What's new

Filed Under "Recent Coffee Research Notes"

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
One of my regular reads is a deep scan of phys.org where I find all kinds of interesting science happening. The articles are usually not the actual scientific journal articles but are written by science reporters and communicators. You also can chase down the actual articles if you're interested.

In today's trawl through the waters I found this, presented for your edification and enjoyment:

O.H.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't make espresso, but I'm wondering how this would be in my Virtuoso grinder before going to the Moccamaster? Would the grinder appreciate the addition of water? I do have static electricity in the winter low humidity months.

How much water would you add? Would I wet my hand and then flick my fingers into the hopper? I want to try this or hear more from others as to how to add the water.

This is what I do. It depends on how much coffee you're grinding though.

I grind per cup of coffee often, for pour over or Aeropress or espresso. I flick a drop into the beans, shake and then grind them.
Thank you! That seems reasonable. I didn't want to over-wet the beans and then literally gum-up the grinder. I see a lot of static with darker roasts and when I grind enough for my drip machine, there can be granules all over, even on a medium/coarse grind. The hand grinder can see some static as well, but I haven't been too bothered yet!

What's the difference between the Clever and any other pour over coffee maker? Other than colors.

-MO

e8eb69cb-c8ba-4c49-ab50-722cbb2c384a-jpeg.1433775
The clever is more like a combination of a French press and a dripper. The grounds can steep for a while and when one puts it on the cup it filters like a pour over. Works great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom