What's new

Feather Pro Supers as Proline Alternative?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Down to my last Schick Proline. Choices are pay around $23-24usd before shipping for one pack or get a ten year supply for about $13usd shipped. Kai P!nks are awesome, but don’t poke out as far as Prolines so they change the angle/comfort/enjoyment of my shave.

Would a Feather Pro Super; proudly standing at like 8.2mm instead of 8mm; be a suitable substitute? Or is it such an entirely different animal that I’d never be prepared to handle its awesomeness with my jaded background of Proline smoothness?

Having dead people razors probably show up tomorrow and the blades showing up next week and they could make this all academic, but I’d just be asking again if it turns out I can’t develop the chops to rock GEM’s MMOC/MMCP duo.

Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, there is no substitute for the Proline. YMMV. The Pro Super feels considerably rougher to me, and, because it is wider, has more blade feel.

When it comes to GEM razors, go as shallow as you possibly can to start with and adjust the angle as necessary. You generally want the handle of the razor almost horizontal. Use a light touch and a shallow angle, and you will be good.

I've read lots of reviews that say the Pro Supers are inconsistent and suffer from QC issues. I've never used one though, so I can't comment directly. I ordered a box of 300 Prolines from Japan. One just has to insist on paying the extra courier fee (Fedex) to get it here in a week. I let them ship it standard, it got returned and the seller offered new shipping methods. It was nice to get it in one week but I lost the time and money on the first failed shipment. Insist on Fedex courier. Worth it to me to have a ten year supply.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Have the 10 year supply (300) of Prolines. Also have a nice supply of Pro Supers.

Tend toward the Super in the Vector and the Proline in the General - although both blades work great in both razors.

The Super is definitely a bit more 'present' than the Proline. If you need a bit more blade for a milder razor, the Super will fill that need.

YMMV :)

Also (and I hate to be the guy who turns the entire thread upside down), if it's a matter of choosing a single edge razor, why not try a Schick L type injector and experiment with cheap blades like Ted Pella? I use all types of blades in my injectors: Schick, Personna (Ted Pella), and even trimmed down AC blades. The design on an Injector makes it so that the blade width is basically irrelevant. Just a thought...

thombrogan

The design on an Injector makes it so that the blade width is basically irrelevant.

My future is looking brighter. Thanks! I really enjoy the looks of the E and G type even though I think the G is marketed for
1594656790665.jpeg

Fingers crossed my GEMs are the mustard cutters. If not, you’ve given me ideas on how to get Prolines home from Japan or leave them for a potentially less finicky alternative.

thombrogan

For the RR Hawk V3-OC, I would go with the Proline.

I‘ll hold back from using that for a little while so I don’t put financial pressure on its threads. If you’re loving Pro Supers in your Vector and Prolines get the nod in the V3OC, it makes sense to keep using the blades that gave me more comfort than deserved.

Thanks again

My experience is severely limited compared to many gents here, but the Supers were a no-go for me with my Vector. I tend to dislike more than minimal blade feel (as a daily shaver), however, so I am most likely an outlier of sorts. The Super, for me, would work just fine if I shaved once or twice/week.

For me, it's Prolines or Kai Captain Titan Milds. I haven't even used the Feather & Kai guarded blades that I received from Try-a-Blade months ago, I am so happy w/ the Prolines and Pinks.

I have used both Proline and Feather Pro Super blades in a few different razors. I find the Super's to be too harsh in the Hawk V2 and V3 as well as in the Classic Shaving Enoch. It pairs well with my Mongoose.

thombrogan

Thanks, @JoeLr and @Steve_in_CT ! I’ll reign in the impulse buying of Feather Pro Supers based on everyone’s thoughtful advice and consider that 10 year supply of Prolines if the GEMs disagree with my lack of technique.

By the way, the GEM MMOC and MMCP showed up a day early and their cool designs make missing the PTFE-coated stainless blades excruciating.

Thanks, @JoeLr and @Steve_in_CT ! I’ll reign in the impulse buying of Feather Pro Supers based on everyone’s thoughtful advice and consider that 10 year supply of Prolines if the GEMs disagree with my lack of technique.

By the way, the GEM MMOC and MMCP showed up a day early and their cool designs make missing the PTFE-coated stainless blades excruciating.
If you don't want a 10 year supply, you might be able to organize a group buy.

Yeesh I didn't realize that the Prolines had become such a difficult item to get...
Any of you 10-year stashers want to sell me a few to try out?? Apparently I am behind on the times with these almost going the way of the dodo.
EDIT: Group buy is an interesting idea as mentioned above...

thombrogan

Thanks for the great idea. I’ll probably still get 10 years of Proline blades for myself because I expect to still hate whiskers and be alive for the next 10-90 years. Thanks to everyone’s input, it’s unlikely the Feather Pro Supers will be the substitute I hoped. Unless I get another AC razor…

@jesseix , they’re more going the way of the slow-do. Rakuten changed their shipping policies (I believe @Hachet set up a Rakuten Express account for such things), so it’s pay nearly double or get your full at once.

Or get them individually at places like TryABlade.com. Like buying loose smokes in high school only Schick Proline 50mm blades aren’t available in menthol…

Between my stash of Prolines + Kai Pinks, I have ~6 years worth of AC blades on-hand. That said, if I ever stumble upon an opportunity to grab, say, 2 or 3 dispensers of Prolines at non-exorbitant prices, I will likely do so.

Okay gents.. I'm NOT promoting my ebay listings (obviously, by not posting links or sharing my screen name) but I will say that I own enough proline P30s (just ordered another box of 300) to sell them for non-exorbitant prices on ebay. Thus, if you keep your eyes open for sellers in the US, selling single p30 packs, you will find them beginning today. Mods, please feel free to scrutinize if necessary. Again, NOT promoting my own listings, just leting people know that if they want to buy Prolines from a US seller, that option should be available by this late afternoon.

I've been using the Feather Pro Supers lately and I have a healthy stash of Prolines. I like them both in my ATT SE1. I still need to try my Feather Super with the SE2 plate. I bought my Prolines on eBay for a decent amount and quick shipping.

Top Bottom