What's new

Feather double edge v straight

I have both and am huge fans of each. For very different reasons. The AS-D2 is the smoothest, most pleasant shaving experiences that I’ve had. With a fresh feather blade, The feel is not just smooth but pleasurable. However, I have a fairly coarse beard. And the DE works best for me with under two days growth. For a very mild razor,I get a very close shave but not incredibly close.

For the closest shave or for many days growth, I turn to the feather shavette. This definitely takes some practice, but if you have experience with a straight you’re probably fine. The blades, whether the feather or Schick proline, are incredibly sharp and will mow down almost any length of beard without blinking. The shave is smooth with the right technique but you know you are shaving with a tool that can cut if you let your guard down.

For me I use the DE more often, because it is quicker, and does a great job for a daily shave. But the shavette gets used as well

You should get both! But if you only pick one I hope the above is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on your comment about neck irritation I would recommend the Feather Artist Club DX. Especially since you are already experienced with a traditional straight.

After many years of DE shaves I still need to be careful shaving my neck with many DE razors to avoid irritation. But it took only a few shaves with the DX to discover that it was a more comfortable way to shave. I could lay the razor almost flat and never had to wonder about the blade angle. It was easier to keep the angle consistent during the stroke from jaw down to the collar-line. Especially when paired with a Super Pro blade to give the blade a tiny bit more length so that it could lay almost perfectly flat, so that I only need to control the pressure to get a nice comfortable shave.

I have not used a AS-D2, but I sometimes like to use a Popular for travel or a quick shave. It is a mild shaver and good choice to avoid irritation. But my favorite razor for the neck area is the Feather DX.

Hi everyone

thank you for the extremely helpful responses. I thought about buying both for a while but in the end I decided to buy the DE to start with and then will maybe pick up the straight and use it on weekends or days when I have more time to start and see how I go. The DE just seemed like a more all round option. I haven’t had a chance to shave with it yet but the wood handle is beautiful and I am really looking forward to it. I managed to give myself a nice razor bump with my last cartridge shave and so don’t want to go over the scab with the DE so will wait for that to heal and then report back after my first shave.

Top Bottom