What's new

Feather double edge v straight

Hello

I previously shaved with a dovo straight but stopped as stropping the razor was too much for me. I then moved to a double edge which I liked but irritated my neck - it turns out I was using too steep an angle. I went back to cartridge razors for a while but have decided to come back to wet shaving.

I am trying to choose between a feather double edge razor or a feather Japanese style shavette.

Of course the DE technique is much easier and so I might prefer to go that way but my question is, with each razor similarly priced, will one give me a considerably cleaner or less irritating shave than the other?

thanks!

I have extensive experience with both razors.
The SS shavette is my daily driver. Haven't used anything else since August. For me, it provides a gentle, generally smooth shave. It's a lot harder to master, though. The Feather AS-D2 is a wonderful, smooth shaver and would probably suit a higher percentage of shavers than the shavette would.

Having said that, for me, at least, the SS with a Schick Proline blade is the keeper.

Thanks kingfisher, that’s very helpful. I probably should have thought that not many people will use both and so I suppose open the question up to a more general, all things being equal does a straight produce a closer shave than a DE?
It appears that, like most things, it comes down to personal preference.

Thanks kingfisher, that’s very helpful. I probably should have thought that not many people will use both and so I suppose open the question up to a more general, all things being equal does a straight produce a closer shave than a DE?
It appears that, like most things, it comes down to personal preference.
I don't think a straight produces a closer shave (although many will disagree with me). I actually think it's possible to get a closer shave with a DE.

What I'm saying is that, if you do it correctly (which requires lots of practice and constant vigilance), a shave with a straight razor or shavette is more comfortable, produces less irritation, and, ultimately, is gentler on the skin than a DE shave.

Those are my beliefs after having shaved with DEs since about July of 2009 and then switching to straight razors/shavettes in about February of 2018.

I would only make two points:

The person holding the razor is more important than is the type of razor in determining the quality of a shave.

There is a reason why percentage wise so few shavers use straight razors.

What razors are you comparing? The feather ac club SS. Razor can be had for about $70 (depending on model) And the feather AS-D2 is about $200. And feather popular under $15

I have and shave with both the feather popular and feather SS. I like them both. There is a learning curve to both. I feel like it takes more skill to get a great shave from the feather SS. The popular is freakishly mild an and comfortable, But not as close a shave to the SS. Both razors are blade sensitive. Naturally for the feather popular the feather blade. I don’t have enough shaves with the feather ss with different blades to definitely say what is my favorite blade, But the proline, and feather pro are at top of list as of now

While the feather popular is not the same as the AD-D2. Feather popular is $15 And the feather SS for $70. Why not try both? Then decide if you want to upgrade from there.

I am looking at the Artist Club DX and the D2S with the wood handle. Both are beautiful in their own way but the D2S has more going for it in the looks department.

I completely take the points made re the skill of the user being important. I appreciate both have a learning curve (the straight moreso) and intend to invest the time to get a great shave with whichever one I chose. I just wanted to make sure I was starting with the right tool rather than investing in such expensive razors without being sure which was the way to go.

The DX is a lot more unforgiving than the SS, just so you know. Even experienced straight razor shavers sometimes have trouble with the DX, although it also shaves the closest to an actual straight razor.
The SS is cleverly designed with a tiny lip just behind the cutting edge that makes it much more forgiving. Less like a true straight, but a lot easier for daily or every other day use. The standard SS has a plastic handle but you can buy it with a wood handle, as well.
The DX would be ok if you are really good at straight shaving technique and you value closeness over comfort and safety. Otherwise, I would strongly encourage you to look at the SS, instead. As a bonus, it's also a lot less expensive than the DX.

While the feather popular is not the same as the AD-D2. Feather popular is $15 And the feather SS for $70. Why not try both? Then decide if you want to upgrade from there.

+1! Excellent advice!! The AS-D2 is a great razor but it is very much on the mild end of the spectrum.

You state this as though the reason is inherently obvious. I'm interested in what you think that reason is. I have my own thoughts, but I'm interested in yours (and those of others).
I suggest (though some will disagree) that DE razors are easier for most persons to learn, to use, and they are faster for the average shaver. There is a reason why a DE razor is considered to be a "safety" razor. Most men hate shaving, and are not drawn to a method that to many seems more complicated and dangerous.

I can think of a few reasons

The idea of instant gratification.... all the results with out any investment
Fear
ignorance
Media influence

I suggest (though some will disagree) that DE razors are easier for most persons to learn, to use, and they are faster for the average shaver. There is a reason why a DE razor is considered to be a "safety" razor. Most men hate shaving, and are not drawn to a method that to many seems more complicated and dangerous.
Thanks.

My thoughts are that people don't want to use shavettes or straights because of a perception that they are dangerous, difficult to use, time consuming, labor intensive, or all of the above.

I started with a Feather SS (non-folding) that I had on loan. After about 40 shaves I liked it, but not enough to purchase it, because I wanted to try "real straight razors." So I got started on that. I pretty much used straights all the way through 2018. I have well over 200 real straight razor shaves under my belt.

At some point, I decided that I was tired of stropping and especially orf wondering whether an edge was still sharp enough to shave comfortably, so I went back to DE for about 6 months or so.

Then, I wondered what the Feather SS would be like after all my straight razor experience, and I figured maybe the folding one would be better because I had become accustomed to Western straight razors. So I borrowed a folding Feather SS. It only took about 3 shaves to decide that I had to have one. So I returned the borrowed one and bought one of my own.

My first folding Feather SS shavette shave was on August 24th. Since then I have used no other razor. This shavette really was the answer for me. The satisfaction and comfort of a straight razor without the hassle.

Do I think this razor is for everyone? No. But it's simply an amazing shaver if you have the skill, the time, and the desire.

I've been reading quite a bit about coticules and BBWs - and I have a natural combo now and I've tried the coti side a couple of times.

I've read that BBW can produce pretty good results, though I haven't tried the BBW side of mine yet. But what I'm wondering is if BBW has any advantages over a coticule - is there any advantage to using it at any stage?

Update: I should add that I'm in the grip of HAD and I'm wondering if it would be worth getting a larger BBW as they're relatively inexpensive :biggrin1:
Thanks.

My thoughts are that people don't want to use shavettes or straights because of a perception that they are dangerous, difficult to use, time consuming, labor intensive, or all of the above.

I started with a Feather SS (non-folding) that I had on loan. After about 40 shaves I liked it, but not enough to purchase it, because I wanted to try "real straight razors." So I got started on that. I pretty much used straights all the way through 2018. I have well over 200 real straight razor shaves under my belt.

At some point, I decided that I was tired of stropping and especially orf wondering whether an edge was still sharp enough to shave comfortably, so I went back to DE for about 6 months or so.

Then, I wondered what the Feather SS would be like after all my straight razor experience, and I figured maybe the folding one would be better because I had become accustomed to Western straight razors. So I borrowed a folding Feather SS. It only took about 3 shaves to decide that I had to have one. So I returned the borrowed one and bought one of my own.

My first folding Feather SS shavette shave was on August 24th. Since then I have used no other razor. This shavette really was the answer for me. The satisfaction and comfort of a straight razor without the hassle.

Do I think this razor is for everyone? No. But it's simply an amazing shaver if you have the skill, the time, and the desire.

How many shaves are you getting out of proline blade?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I regularly use a variety of vintage DE razors from those considered mild to those considered aggressive, a straight razor, and a Feather AC DX, with the wooden handle and Feather Pro blades. The Feather is without a doubt the most unforgiving razor I have ever used. It requires my absolute concentration at all times, even more than a straight razor no matter how strange that may seem. As such, I enjoy the challenge of using the Feather, and I enjoy having used it, but I do not actually enjoy using the Feather, as it is impossible to relax and simply enjoy the shave. I am hoping that will change as my technique improves. The Feather is, for me, certainly not easier to use than a straight, although it is easier to maintain as no stropping or honing is required. It requires time for me to use as I simply MUST go slowly, and it takes time to work on the technique, but if you have the perseverance it is incredible.

I regularly use a variety of vintage DE razors from those considered mild to those considered aggressive, a straight razor, and a Feather AC DX, with the wooden handle and Feather Pro blades. The Feather is without a doubt the most unforgiving razor I have ever used. It requires my absolute concentration at all times, even more than a straight razor no matter how strange that may seem. As such, I enjoy the challenge of using the Feather, and I enjoy having used it, but I do not actually enjoy using the Feather, as it is impossible to relax and simply enjoy the shave. I am hoping that will change as my technique improves. The Feather is, for me, certainly not easier to use than a straight, although it is easier to maintain as no stropping or honing is required. It requires time for me to use as I simply MUST go slowly, and it takes time to work on the technique, but if you have the perseverance it is incredible.
The SS is not like the DX. Totally different beast. I agree that the DX is unforgiving. The SS is SO much easier. If you haven't tried the SS, you can't understand what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

You said it well in your last sentence: " . . . if you have the skill, the time, and the desire."

Top Bottom