What's new

Feather AS D2 vs classic

OK, so I see that the Feather AS D2 gets reviews that are nothing short of raves. But, to me at least, raises two questions. First, it it really All That (tm)? As in, worth the cost, which is certainly towards the high end of the scale? And, how does it compare to classic safety razors, like the Gillette Old Type, New Type, or Tech?

Inquiring minds, etc.
-Z

I own the AS-D2 and the Tech. The 2 razors are similar but at the same time different. The AS-D2 is a modern razor that I would describe as the logical sequel to the Tech razor, it is superior in construction to

1: stainless steel
2: larger diameter shaft easier to hold vs tech ball end
3: blade tips hidden at the ends

The shave is similar but the feeling of the blade is different, the 2 are very effective but the AS-D2 requires greater control than the Tech. Of the 6 razors I've had (Progress, Merkur 38HD, Rockwell 6C, Weishi, Tech, AS-D2) the Feather is the one I prefer but the Tech for its ridiculous price is really the best deal. I paid $15 for the tech in perfect condition vs $275 for the AS-D2.

As the tip of the blade on the AS-D2 is protected I don't worry about cutting myself when I shave XTG under my nose, I have cut the edges of my nostrils several times with the Tech

I shave daily in 1 foam and on one pass the AS-D2 is superior

On a 2 foam shave (WTG/ATG), the 2 razors are equivalent in terms of BBS

Those who say these razors aren't effective how come Gillette sold millions of them at a time when DE razors were the norm.

I find any modern razor over $100 ridiculous.
That said many in a cult following of the bbs1 have spent $1,000+. That makes the Feather look like a steal.
I bought a large lot of vintage razors, and there was a brand new ASD2-S in the bundle. I used it, loved it, and will not sell it.
It is hands down one of my favorite razors as it is extremely comfortable and efficient.
Compared to a $20 tech though, other than being modern, heavier, and sleeker, it's no different, to me.
Worth paying retail for one?... if I lost mine, I wouldn't even consider replacing it. What is worth to you, is up to you.

I have a triangle-slot Tech (aka pre-war model). Add a single shim under the working blade, put on a bulldog stainless steel handle such as Maggard MR11 and it shaves very similarly to the AS-D2. Brass + stainless vs. all-stainless preference is more a matter of esthetics. I personally like a shorter handle. Mine cost less than $20 all together.

I put the AS-D2 handle on a post-war U.S. Tech head, and to honest I couldn't really tell the difference in the shave. The AS-D2 covers the blade tabs, but aside from that the differences are minimal, to me. Put the Fat-handle Tech handle on the AS-D2 head, and it shaves like a post-war Tech.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my AS-D2 when I had it. I sold it when I discovered that the post-war Tech was essentially the same razor (I should say, essentially the same SHAVE).

Differences in the actual razors are as follows:
1) AS-D2 covers the tabs
2) AS-D2 is MIM stainless steel with a thin matte chrome layer, whereas the Tech is brass (most of them, anyway), plated with either nickel or a thin layer of gold. (There are exceptions, of course: Some of the later Techs were Zamak, and the Hybrid Tech was rhodium plated rather than nicklel plated.)
3) AS-D2 handle is longer and thinner than the fat-handle Tech handle

The shave is similar but the feeling of the blade is different, the 2 are very effective but the AS-D2 requires greater control than the Tech.

This was my experience as well. I got a Feather not long after I wanted to try things other than my R89. I even hoarded Feather blades for it (they were dirt cheap in my neighborhood back then). It was more beautifully made than the Canadian Tech I still have but was a lot trickier for me to use. Techs are notorious for having a narrow sweet spot but I felt the Feather's was even narrower.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
OK, so I see that the Feather AS D2 gets reviews that are nothing short of raves. But, to me at least, raises two questions. First, it it really All That (tm)? As in, worth the cost, which is certainly towards the high end of the scale? And, how does it compare to classic safety razors, like the Gillette Old Type, New Type, or Tech?

Inquiring minds, etc.
-Z

If you looked at my post on the Feather AS-D2, you won't see all raves. As far as the quality of the razor, its worth over a hundred for sure. Its a high quality razor. Having said that however, its also a very mild razor, too mild for my tastes. I have no experience with the other razors you mentioned because I've never owned them.

While the Feather AS-D2 is indeed a nice razor and all, I think its more catered for the daily shaver, and or, those who have soft fine whiskers. I have course whiskers, and even with 2-day stubble, the AS-D2 struggles. With a sharp blade, the Feather will eventually get through it, but its going to take awhile. If the Feather blade is on the 3rd shave for me, its to dull and missing hairs consistently.

And when it does that, it causes me to have to go over it numerous attempts to get it all, this causes razor burn, knicks, weepers, or capillary bleeding of the unwanted. Putting high quality aside, its simple an inefficient razor. Like I said, I think its a good razor for daily shavers, or those with soft fine whiskers. But with my whiskers, requires a higher level of aggression.

And because of this, I ended up getting the Rex Ambassador. Not only is it a more aggressive razor, but because its adjustable, I can adjust anywhere from setting level 1 being just as mild as a Feather AS-D2, or setting level 6, make you cry for mommy levels of domination ruthless cutting power. HA HA HA HA :devil:

So thats my take on what I know of the Feather AS-D2 safety razor.

The AS-D2 is, without doubt, a top quality mild razor. I have one and I love it. It does leave stubble on my neck and under my jaw line though, however many times I go over it.

Lots of people talk about finding the "magical angle", but it's still just a mild razor at the end of the day.

I'll start a shave with the Feather then swap to something more efficient to get BBS. That said, the AS-D2 is the one razor I know won't cause me any nicks, cuts or weepers around my mouth and chin and I'm happy to keep it in my rotation for that alone.

I have a beard that I would consider average in every way, not fine, not coarse, not thin, not thick, average daily growth rate.

Today, I used my ASD2 on a near 3-day growth, two passes with touch-up and got what I consider a DFS. Not BBS, but smooth and comfortable with no nicks, cuts or burn - just a slight sting from my Old Spice Classic, followed by some Nivea balm.

I guess I am very satisfied because I don't chase BBS, and yes I can feel some ATG stubble on edges of my jaw and neck, but I am still getting a better shave that I could ever achieve using my old equipment.

Maybe as I venture into using some of my other razors (Game Changer safety bar and open comb, Gillette New LC and SC) I will finally understand how terribly inefficient the ASD2 really is, but for now, I'm blissfully ignorant. 🙂

Edit: ...and I should add that I got my ASD2 from a member here for well under $100, so that made it worth the risk. I probably would have never tried one for over $200, and been quite happy with my assortment of Gillette Techs.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm blissfully ignorant.

I love this line! 😁

The Matrix GIF

Top Bottom