What's new

Fatip - The Jekyll & Hyde edition

Wow I did not realize their quality varied that wildly. I definitely would get that returned/replaced.

I don't know why we're so surprised though. Fatip may be the most obscure brand there is now. This is really what I would expect of a small company. As long as you get a good quality one it's still the best deal there is in modern DE razors.

Give Fatip another chance. It's a great razor.

So you don't think the OP could find another suitable open comb razor unless its a Joris? Plenty of companies make new OC's, and then there's the vintage market...
No, I think you didn't get my point: if you want a razor head that looks, shaves, and is like a Fatip, then there are exactly two options: Fatip and Joris, because these are the same heads. If you buy another razor, then you get another razor head. So if someone, for whatever reason wants that head, there are no other alternatives. But if someone just wants a razor he can get any razor (and of course he doesn't need more than one).
And as it has been mentioned, the Joris/Fatip head is a great shaver. And Joris razors are stunningly beautiful,. And yes, in spite of being a happy Fatip owner I'm saving my pennies for getting one of those. :001_smile

Last edited:
I had two FaTip Grandes and both of them had poor blade alignment, fairly loose fitting parts, and top caps that were not "square". I really wanted to like those razors as they were all brass and very nice to look at visually, but so are my LC NEWs and I don't have to futz around for ten minutes trying to get the blade in even.
I also found them to be a little too aggressive for my taste. I once cut myself just bringing the razor in contact with my face to initiate the stroke. It was starting to remind me of those scenes from old western movies where someone has to very carefully carry a vial of nitro glycerine away from the train tracks. Not for me thanks.

I see your point. I didn't see where the OP mentioned he couldn't live without that head, so I made the assumption he was in the market for an OC.

I've been intending to order a FaTip, but now I'm thinking I shouldn't. I wonder how common these defective heads are.

I've been intending to order a FaTip, but now I'm thinking I shouldn't. I wonder how common these defective heads are.

I do not know if it is because of the bad quality and the difficulty to align the blade but I am not able to get a good shave with my FaTip. I always end up with a lot of irritation and the shave is not closer than what I get with other razors (Pearl OC and R41). Both Pearl(/Jaws/Cadet) and R41 and nice razors on the more aggressive side.

The same day Pearl would begin to make fully brass open comb razors Fatip would have to shutdown their factory. I think the biggest reason people buy FaTip is the fact they are made with brass. Of course some get good ones and end up liking them, but with their quality, most will just be disappointed.

I wonder if they need to buy 10-15 heads hoping to find one good to make one Joris and that explains why they are so expensive :blink:

Just got my Grande and it's not quite as bad as the OP's example but it's unacceptable. Awful QC. I won't be getting another. Will return it.

Had to laugh at the blurb on the packet. Coming from the Steel City of Sheffield I'm appreciative of quality and have an Edwin Jagger. This Fatip isn't in the same league.

$i-nnm7CCB-L.jpg

I owned 8 - 10 razors with that head design (Fatips and Joris/Plissons). With every one of them, it was necessary to fiddle around with the blade to get a proper alignment. Some were a bit easier than others, but regardless, it was an annoyance every time I wanted to use one. I don't miss them at all!

I have three fatips and one pre 2009 Muehle R89 when it was sold as re-branded. The Muehle-fatip head has one side pin slightly off from the central axis which gives the blade aggression and a "slant" on one edge. The case of the OP but also skewed. I've had this razor for 4 years now with plenty of shaves.

I start off using the aggressive side (with the slant blade) and gives a terrific first pass. The milder side is used for sensitive areas and touch ups.

True aesthetics / QM matter but getting one of a kind razor like these can also have its own rituals !

Last edited:
Interestingly, the blade exposure of the Fatip head makes blade to comb alignment almost a non-issue, since unless you go for a very high angle (handle almost parallel to face) the comb isn't even coming close to your face...

The Fatip is one of the few razors I have sold with no regret whatsoever, the complete blade exposure makes it so that you supply 100% of the blade to face alignment, for me this was much more effort than I was interested in investing in my daily shave and didn't actually provide a closer shave compared to razors with guards that protect the shaver from filleting their face in a moment of inattention.

If you like the idea of a blade that can be used without the guard interfering with contact angle, then use a NEW at a low angle, the shave is fantastic and the consequences of a slip in technique are much less dire (never actually cut myself with the Fatip, but I could feel the potential there every time I used it).

Obviously YMMV, since there are tons of Joris/Fatip fans out there ;)

Don't underestimate this razor, it shaves absolutely GREAT. Despite the bad finish and quality just give it a try. I used to shave with a Merkur 34C HD now I only use the FaTip.

Two razors in one. Normally those cost more, so I would not complain if I was in your situation! :laugh:

Unfortunately quality issues are common, but the good ones are worth the effort to find.

I read all the QC problems about this razor but when I recieved mine I couldn't fault the finish or the shave quality. The finish on yours doesn't seem to be the problem, so if you don't like a two in one razor, keep returning it until you get one that is up to standard. Remember, you're paying $20 for a plated brass razor, not $40+ for a zamak. I used mine this morning, and StubbleTrouble is right ; "the good ones are worth the effort to find".

Cheers, George

Top Bottom