What's new

Fatboy or #195

I have a good starter kit of razors:
View attachment 13754

I just bought a razor on Ebay and it is described as a Fatboy and a #195. Are these the same razor? I have seen threads that discuss the Fatboy and the #195 like they are different razors. Thanks in advance for your help. Here is an image from the auction (date code is E-2).

View attachment 13755

Regards
Bruce

It is the same. But quite a few enthusiasts dubbed the rare variant where the dial is at the bottom of the handle as the "true 195" and insist that the Fatboy isn't it. But it has been discussed here and determined as an incorrect assertion. Gillette was a bit sloppy about definitions, and in any case, the combination of razor/case/instructions that you have is authentic.

I know that there are many more experienced hands on this board who can answer your question in more detail, but I thought that I would take a shot at it

It is my understanding that Gillette labeled all of its Fatboy razors as 195s. (Fatboy was not Gillette's designation.) So, technically, all Fatboys are 195s. However, most collectors and enthusiasts restrict the term 195 to a razor that can be distinguished from the regulation Fatboy in 2 ways. First, the adjustment dial is located near the bottom of the handle, not near the razor head as it is on most adjustables. Second, the magnifying prism on the box, which was placed to show the adjustment dial at point of purchase, has been moved accordingly on the 195 box.

The true 195 was produced only during 1960, and it is very rare. It is seldom that you will see a true 195 on eBay or anywhere else.

Again, I could be wrong about any or all of the above.

Top Bottom